Hand built vs Factory built wheels....which do we think is best and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had two Mavic wheels built using XT hubs in 2006 by my local cycle shop for my MTB, when I picked them up he said "they are bomb proof"
18 years later and thousands of miles ridden, I have not broken one spoke or had to re-true them, good or what !!!

Yeah, but have they been bombed?

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

biketrailerguy

Providing it runs true radially and laterally and the tensions are where they should be does it matter?
Probably sums up my attitude, preferably without any £ being involved, as with current pair of (odd) wheels on my usual bike.
No idea of their pedigree - but they just work.
On the couple or so times I've had problems (with previous wheels) I've gone to - arguably - the best wheel builder in town (60 yrs or so experience) - and they've been sorted.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've got hand built on the front and factory on the back and it's been like that for 9 years. Both do exactly what they're supposed to do with no issues. Hope that helps. :smile:

Seen the usual BSO factory-built horror shows (machine made and not QCd) but also seen disasters made by those who know better but couldn't be arsed (and I know they know). Also had more than a few pairs of 'value' but not cheap wheels from large UK distros that needed more work than was reasonable to be fit for use. At the end of the day though, everything should go through a stand before it meets a bike as even though it may look good, tensions can be all over the place and it'll come back quickly.

If you're suitably competent (or willing to learn, eg. via Musgrove's book or a class) and the cost of yours or someone else's time isn't a factor then hand-built means you'll get what you want. You'll know the spokes have been correctly set, are the correct length and with sufficient engagement with (appropriately treated) nipples, and that tensions are sensibly balanced.

In realty though, unless you're buying in bulk the price of hub, hoop, spokes and nipples quickly overtakes the cost of mid-range factory built wheels, and that's before you consider the cost of a builder's time. If you're price sensitive then you can get some reasonable quality wheels for sensible money and just resign yourself to giving them a once over before use. That said, if you're happy to pay, there are some extremely competent UK wheel builders that offer some actually very fairly priced 'stock' builds.

As for decent factory-built, I recently ordered a pair of rim brake hybrid wheels from Madison (decently made eyeleted rims, Shimano C&C hubs, plain spokes) and they were spot on; good solid workhorse wheels that should last until the rims go, for less than I could've put them together. The only issue was the hub logo not facing the valve, but I can live with that and the customer wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out.

Short answer: 'it depends'.

rydabent

Veteran
The 5 wheels on my bike and trike are probably factory computer tensioned. In the 25000 miles or so I have ridden on them, they have never gone out of true.

Venod

Eh up
I like building my own wheels, you get what hubs rims and spokes you want, and it's very satisfying, but I also have 2 pairs of factory built wheels which are excellent and never needed a spoke key near them, so no bias either way from me.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have quite a few handbuilt wheels but it's usually because I want something specific- e.g. hub dynamo up front, sometimes have a matching rear done- sometimes not. Maybe already have a hub or want a specific one. Went through a bit of a phase where I'd have 105 hubs and a particular Mavic rim on everything- still got a few wheels from that period, they were quite good value 15 years ago when I was doing that!

Jameshow

Veteran
I have quite a few handbuilt wheels but it's usually because I want something specific- e.g. hub dynamo up front, sometimes have a matching rear done- sometimes not. Maybe already have a hub or want a specific one. Went through a bit of a phase where I'd have 105 hubs and a particular Mavic rim on everything- still got a few wheels from that period, they were quite good value 15 years ago when I was doing that!

MA2!!

EckyH

High end "factory built" wheels in most cases are better than "hand built" (by amateurs like me).
Usually we have only one copy of a standard rim or standard hub and incoming goods control for us is only very basic: who of us is able to check the concentricity of the spoke hole circle and if so who does it? What about the tolerances for roundness of a rim and the distances of spoke holes? Who checks the actual measurements of the spokes?
If I were a high end wheel building company, then acceptable tolerances of the parts would be in the contracts with the suppliers. In particular if the parts are custom made for me. As an ordinary mortal that's nearly impossible.
In the mid range commercial available wheels can be better because usually the wheel building professionals have more experience and routine than we have got.
Entry level wheels are not comparable to seriously hand built wheels, but the latter are (much) more expensive - in particular if we count in the time we spent on building the wheels.

Nevertheless: I prefer to build wheels for my bicycles by myself. It's a hobby, so enjoy the time to build the wheels with the carefully chosen parts. Of course there are better wheel builders than me, but the quality of my wheels is sufficient for me. In the times when I did work in bicycle shops and as a mechanic for a cycling club 30 years ago nobody didn't raise a complaint (or nobody dared... 🤔 ) about the wheels I built.

E.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom