Hand built vs Factory built wheels....which do we think is best and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Just curious to know what everyone's thoughts are regarding bike wheels. Do we think hand built or factory built is best and what's the reasoning behind our choice? My own thoughts, as an amateur wheel builder, is that the only real benefit I can see with hand built is that you get to choose the components. Providing it runs true radially and laterally and the tensions are where they should be does it matter?

Drago

Legendary Member
Factory built wheels are built by hand.

It's the time then spent checking and finishing that makes the difference, and hand built wheels are more likely to benefit from that. Someone using a machine in Taiwan to tighten multiple spokes puts their trousers on one leg at a time, the same way a bearded ma. With a scredriver in in a shed in Solihul does, but the former likely won't have the luxury of time.

However, it's not set in stone. Over the years I've come across some hand-built shockers by wheelbuilders who were supposed to know better, and factory wheels that were surgically precise. With that in mind you can't make a blanket statement over which is best, and need to inspect candidates up close and personal to see what you're getting.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
The factory ones I checked out pre sale were machine built and the worst had a few spokes that were crazy tight and some that were almost loose, but the wheel was true.

Slick

Guru
For me, the factory ones that I bought were never up to the job and couldn't handle a full Scottish winter commute. The hand built sets that I have are built to my specification and because I have used the Hope hubs, they are interchangeable between bikes and easily serviced. I probably could have got similar factory made, but I certainly couldn't see it and I felt it was worth spending the money on.

Sallar55

Veteran
Factory wheels for racing bike or whatever you want to call them. Hand built for touring as you can ask for spare spokes. Factory built spokes are a fortune if you need to buy them and a rim forget it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Factory wheels for racing bike or whatever you want to call them. Hand built for touring as you can ask for spare spokes. Factory built spokes are a fortune if you need to buy them and a rim forget it.
Eh? You can buy spokes anywhere, bike shops, online, you name it. Even decent ones, double butted, stainless, tandem rated, exotic materials, etc, aren't expensive. A spoke doesn't care if its going on a factory wheel or a hand assembled one, because its just a spoke.

And a rim on a hand assembled wheel is just as at home on a factory wheel. As are the hubs.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Eh? You can buy spokes anywhere, bike shops, online, you name it. Even decent ones, double butted, stainless, tandem rated, exotic materials, etc, aren't expensive. A spoke doesn't care if its going on a factory wheel or a hand assembled one, because its just a spoke.

And a rim on a hand assembled wheel is just as at home on a factory wheel. As are the hubs.

But some wheels e.g. Fulcrum 5s have fancy spokes and hubs and you can only buy the special spokes in a pack and they are pretty pricy.

Drago

Legendary Member
But some wheels e.g. Fulcrum 5s have fancy spokes and hubs and you can only buy the special spokes in a pack and they are pretty pricy.

That's related to rhe components used, not the manner of construction.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hand built, but it depends on who built the wheel.
A properly hand built wheel will have the spokes stress relieved, the spokes will be untwisted, the flanged ends will be bent to sit straight in the hub and the spokes will be straight. A machine can't do any of that. Generally, I build my own wheels with the exception of my current mountain bike because simply put, they've stayed straight and I can't be arsed tweaking them to be better.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've got factory built, both racing wheels and 32s touring runs and hand built by me!

Hand built can be good or bad depending on the components and builders skill.

Factory wheels generally are more consistent but then aren't so good for heavy duty commuting or touring.

geocycle

Legendary Member
It is fascinating that we all want homemade wheels and indeed cakes but not say a homemade car! But as others have said I like to specify what I want to the wheel builder and still view wheel building as a craft.

Top Bottom