Gearing increase top end BTWIN Chain Ring 50 to 52/53T

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

revo

Really pleased with my BTWIN fit5 after 5+ years,
it's similar to a triban but comes standard with flat bars

my first time, please could you advise on what compatible 52 or 53 T chain ring I should purchase?

currently I do not use the two smaller, the large chain ring I believe is 50T, I fancy going a bit higher to 52 or 53.

Rides are mainly flat with a few hills around town, could be my cadence but I feel like I could do with an extra gear at the top end.

I've previously updated the rear cassette from 12-25 to Alvio HG400 11-28

This gave me the desired extra top end, although after 2 years have adjusted and feeling like an extra gear would be satisfying. Or perhaps I should try spinning more? I feel like the resistance isn't quite enough and I'd enjoy the higher gearing.

also have noticed sometimes the gear skips, before and after recent new chain fitted.

over the years I've upgraded tyres to Conti GP5000 - ended up fitting halfords inner tube as the continental ones kept getting punctures!

Attachments

• 20231102_100109 2.jpg
    20231102_100109 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231102_100302 2.jpg
    20231102_100302 2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231102_100332 2.jpg
    20231102_100332 2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • btwin.PNG
    btwin.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231102_100017 (2).jpg
    20231102_100017 (2).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 24

Big John

Guru

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBBOijv__ts

You need to measure this and then scour the internet for a chain ring with the same BCD.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You must have a very low cadence (or be riding super-fast) if 50/11 isn't a high enough gear for you!

Even a low 50 rpm would give you over 29 km/hr (18 miles/hr). I would typically be doing over 48 km/hr (30 miles/hr) in that gear (and I can't do that for long without a tailwind/downhill).

Big John

Guru
I was going to say earlier that if 50/11 isn't a big enough gear then you ought to be racing. You must be as strong as an ox. These days I use a 50 and my small sprocket is a 12 but that combination never gets used lol.

Good morning,
.... currently I do not use the two smaller, the large chain ring I believe is 50T, I fancy going a bit higher to 52 or 53.....
Given this, this may not matter, but front mechs do not have an unlimited capacity and the inner plate of a tripple is often stepped.

To fit a 52t ring you may find that you have to move the front mech up a bit, doing so moves the position of the step relative to the middle and inner rings.

This may have the effect of making the shift in or out of these ring poor or even leave the chain rubbing, something that an indexed shifter may not cope with. You may even find that the chain rubs against the bolt at the bottom of the cage on the small ring.

The photo shows that the inner and small ring are pretty clean, so if you never use them none of this will matter.

Bye

Ian

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was going to say earlier that if 50/11 isn't a big enough gear then you ought to be racing. You must be as strong as an ox. These days I use a 50 and my small sprocket is a 12 but that combination never gets used lol.

indeed , i consider myself a reasonably fit if not super cyclist , i can average 18 mph for a 60-70 mile ride , on the flat i can plod along at 20 mph or more if i feel energetic for a bit . I generally ride on the flat mid cassette cadence is around 80-90 rpm .
My gearing is the same 11-28 with a 50 big ring and i am considering dropping the 11 to a 12 max as the only time i use the 12 let alone the 11 is when im heading down a long hill where i may as well tuck in .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think you need to change your riding and cadence. I have a 52 x 13 bottom gear, and very rarely use it or even the 53 x 14 or 15 - maybe on a proper descent.

Get a new 50T if it's worn out.

fossyant

99.999% it will be 110 BCD

OP
OP
R

revo

Many thanks all for your replies,

I'd probably keep 50t if doing the long rides you do, most of my rides are less than 10 miles, zipping around town to shops etc.

enjoy getting into top gear as quickly as I can, and definitely prefer lower cadence, perhaps I should adapt my style to spin more.

if it's too high a ratio to begin with I can always stay on the 12t for most riding and keep the 11t for downhill bursts

measured 76+mm between 2 neighbouring bolts out of 5 indicates definitely 130mm BCD

stronglight chain rings look ideal thanks again

Last edited:

fossyant

You are riding the bike wrong - way too low cadence - getting to top gear is not an aim. It's not efficient, and makes it harder work than needs to be for the speed (or lack of speed) you'll have.

Reactions: C R

CXRAndy

Guru
Honestly you will so rarely use 52/53t chainring with the 11 cog. To spin that up over 100rpm will take you well over 50mph.

I have a 48t chain ring and whilst racing down a mountain with young lads on bigger cranks, I out topped speed their attempts, they hit 52 mph, I hit 53mph and 145rpm.

Top Bottom