Middle chain ring Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
After many years of sterling service I think the middle chain ring on my Triban 3 has finally passed the point of no return. Currently 50/39/30 chain rings on an Ounce crank. 8 speed cassette. My question is - which is easier? To replace the middle ring or just replace the whole crankset. Assuming I can find an 8 speed triple that fits the BB. Keen to keep the triple as my commute involves a big hill.

Sharky

Guru
I would attempt replacing the middle ring first. It will be cheaper and is fairly easy to do and wont upset the chainline or encounter issues with the BB.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I replaced the middle ring successfully on a Triban 3 (ounce chainset).

I managed to get a replacement from Evans cycles. I think it cost aroun £10 at the time. It worked perfectly, the only difference was the colour; grey instead of the original black.

edit: I doesn't look like Evans sell individual rings anymore. Probably then, your best bet is independent bike shops or otherwise online.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Replacing the middle ring is straightforward and far less cost than a complete chainset replacement.
Procure a 39t middle ring (not an inner 39t for a standard) with the correct BCD (130 or 110mm, think 130) and bolt pattern: maybe this from SJS: Sora-fc3403-130mm-bcd-5-arm-middle-chainring-silver-39t/.
Off with the cranks, off with the large and middle rings. Good clean of everything (so maybe inner off too while you're at it). Back on with the rings (threadlocker on the chainring bolts). Chainset back on. Ride on. 30 minutes plus the cleaning time.
Having said all that, a Spa Cycles triple XD2 would be an excellent replacement and inexpensive (need to check current BB spindle length versus what a new triple requires).

I did mine about four years ago, Its relatively easy I got a new shimano one. As Ajax bay says its best to take the crank off and give both the other chain rings a good clean and use thread locker on reassembly. I upgraded the Cassette to a nine speed too Though had some problems sourcing the 2nd hand levers but it worked out fine after some adjustment.

Top Bottom