Gearing increase top end BTWIN Chain Ring 50 to 52/53T

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Many thanks all for your replies,

I'd probably keep 50t if doing the long rides you do, most of my rides are less than 10 miles, zipping around town to shops etc.

enjoy getting into top gear as quickly as I can, and definitely prefer lower cadence, perhaps I should adapt my style to spin more.

if it's too high a ratio to begin with I can always stay on the 12t for most riding and keep the 11t for downhill bursts

measured 76+mm between 2 neighbouring bolts out of 5 indicates definitely 130mm BCD

stronglight chain rings look ideal thanks again

If you saw someone trying to lift and carry 100kg of bricks might you suggest they make several journeys instead, for the sake of their back and knees?

Your current riding style will put big strains on your body; not a good idea.
Better to spread your effort over several turns of the pedals.

Good morning,

I've settled on 48/38 chainrings for my commute bike and am well aware of and agree with the higher cadence lower gear philosophy.

However the OP has not disclosed any information from which I can assume anything about his build, is he a marathon runner or a rugby forward?

There is a danger that which gears to use falls into the same category as clipless pedals where only one answer is allowed. :smile: Don't forget that it is generally accepted that the most efficient cadence for most people is around the 65 rpm mark.

By efficient I mean work done for oxygen consumed, the higher cadence comes about because no one can train to ride at this efficiency level for anything over short distances.

Riding above say 85rpm is a speciality and a 20 stone rider with thighs to match is probably going to find higher gears the better choice.

Bye

Ian

Ajax Bay

Guru
You are riding the bike wrong - way too low cadence - getting to top gear is not an aim. It's not efficient, and makes it harder work than needs to be for the speed (or lack of speed) you'll have.
I'm going to side with @IanSmithCSE here. Your assessment has tones of unwarranted authority (as well as probably being just plain wrong "way too low cadence") and I suggest you reflect on the adverse effect you may have by expressing it in this way. Along with your erroneous advice about a chainset's BCD that "99.999% sure will be 110mm".
Your current riding style will put big strains on your body; not a good idea.
Better to spread your effort over several turns of the pedals.
You really don't know what sort of rider the OP is, nor what riding he does, other than the broad outline shared. Many riders have a 53-39 double paired with an 11-25 or 11-28. The stretches where the OP might engage their "extraordinary" 127" gear will be very occasional and unsustained and actually not be a "big strain" on their body. Far more "strain" will be exerted by the OP on their body climbing the odd slightly steep hill. Do you feel a "big strain" on your body beetling along (downhill) in your top gear (what length is that btw?). Do you expose a "big strain" on your body ("not a good idea") by climbing at all @All uphill ?
OP: ". . . after 2 years [with an 11t sprocket] have adjusted and feeling like an extra gear would be satisfying."
Here's a gear calculator for the OP to play with to inform decisions: https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...21,24,28&UF=2135&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth
I don't think the OP will benefit from swapping their 50t ring out for a 52t but it's their choice (see OP for the 'exam question') and they "feel like the resistance isn't quite enough and [would] enjoy the higher gearing."
As for @CXRAndy 50+mph at 145rpm I'll bet the young lads thought he was just being a downright danger to himself and eased back so they could help him when he crashed.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the OP is running out of gears with a 50 ring and a 12 or 11 sprocket, then I suggest they sign up for a pro team ASAP.

I rarely use the 14 or 13 on my 53 chain ring road bikes, and even on my CX bike, haven't used the 46 x 12. Best pedalling efficiency is 80 plus rpm on the flat.

And as for the chainset, if we knew what it was then we could say what the BCD is. Most compacts are 110, but I see this is a triple - I hadn't spotted that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom