How to change gears ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ploglim

Hi,
I received a road bike from friends of ours that apparently hasn't been used for decades. Photos are attached.
I have no idea how to change gears even though there appears to be multiple gears. Is this due to the glue-looking stuff on the handlebar?
I'm quite new to the bicycle world and am looking forward to people enlightening me :smile:.
Good day.

IMG_20240402_195911.jpg

IMG_20240402_195855.jpg

IMG_20240402_195904.jpg

IMG_20240402_195920.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The little levers on the down tube change the gears.
The one on the left will work the front derailuer, moving between the large and small Chainrings.
The one on the right moves the rear derailuer and changes gear on the rear wheel.
You have to be pedaling for the gear changes to happen.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
See those two levers on the downtube just above where it says Olympic? They're the gear levers

Left is for the front - it changes between the two chainrings. Pull it back to go to the bigger ring (higher gear) push it forward to go to the smaller (lower gear).

Right lever is for the back, it changes between the sprockets on the back wheel. Pull it back to go to a bigger sprocket (lower gear) push it forward to go to a smaller sprocket (higher gear)

Think of the two chainrings as gear ranges. You'll change this less frequently. They aren't actually two distinct ranges because they overlap a lot, but that's the best way to think about them. Just keep it in the little ring (where it is) while you get going.

You have to be moving and pedalling when you change gear. Don't move the lever when stationary. When you do move a lever keep pedalling, but gently - slack off the power a bit.

I don't know if these levers are indexed (they will click between gears) or friction (they will move smoothly and you have to use judgement to find the right position). I'll assume they are friction, which is/was much more common.

So get on the bike pedal a bit to get going and gently pull back a bit on the right lever while pedalling gently. The chain will climb up a sprocket or two and pedalling will get easier. But maybe it will chatter a bit and not sound right, this is because you haven't got the lever in just the right position, so tweak it a bit,

It's a knack, but not difficult. Just roll around a park for a bit experimenting and you'll get the hang of it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Brakes set up in continental arrangement. And do I see a rear caliper on the front?
Front QR in the 'wrong' way round.
12speed: all the current rage.
For the 6 foot plus rider.
What do you want to change the gears to?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
'Glue stuff' might be the brake hoods degrading. They'll need replacing. The brake levers are just for the brakes. Gears operated as described above.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A wind up, surely?

I don't think so.

When I first encountered brifters, on a tourer I bought about 10 years ago, finding out how to change to the next bigger ring or cog required some serious Googling. :smile:

Reactions: C R

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't think so.

When I first encountered brifters, on a tourer I bought about 10 years ago, finding out how to change to the next bigger ring or cog required some serious Googling. :smile:

These are not brifters. Just a glance at the levers and cables would give anyone a major clue as to what they were for. It's a wind up, and we've had more than a few lately, all from people who post once and are never seen again.

OP
OP
P

Ploglim

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm not stuck on an infinite easy gear now thank God. The bike turns out to be quite enjoyable.

These are not brifters. Just a glance at the levers and cables would give anyone a major clue as to what they were for. It's a wind up, and we've had more than a few lately, all from people who post once and are never seen again.
What are brifters? What's a wind up? And why am I never going to be seen again :blink: ( should I be worried)?

Good day.

Top Bottom