Thorn xtc??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nice find.

Profpointy, why are we thinking it is stolen? It' probably been left in a garage for years and whoever is throwing it out thinks they have an old knackered bike worth nothing. That's what it looks like. Isnt that scenario more likely in this case?

It could have been thrown out, but is a £1500 bike from a top-end supplier who supplies mainly enthusiasts, all that likely to be ending up in a skip ? It's a bit like finding a neglected Rolex in a skip - it could happen, but other explanations come to mind. Conceivable if an old gent had had it then it got dumped in a clear out by relatives maybe.

I've just approved this post so it's a couple back in the thread but here is the original owners reply.....

Hi,
Robin at SJSC has alerted me to this post. I'm Steve Freear and it was my bike. It hasn't been stolen, so who ever has it is welcome to keep it and enjoy it. I purchased it in 2001 but it has barely been used for the last 5 years and has been kept outside under a bike cover, hence it probably needing some TLC.
I now live on a narrowboat and don't have room to store it, so now use a Brompton. I moved the boat from Cambridgeshire to Shropshire this year and had forgotten that I had left the bike at my old marina. It wasn't really viable to bring it back, so it was put in a skip at the marina where he was having a clear out. I had already taken the Brooks saddle off to use on the Brompton.
It was a really good bike and has been round New Zealand and done the end to end.
Thanks for the honesty and concern from the finder.
I have also uploaded a photo of it at John O'Groats, to show it really was mine.
Steve Freear

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've just approved this post so it's a couple back in the thread but here is the original owners reply.....

Wow, a great result for the OP. Wish I'd bought an XTC instead of my Nomad. It was an extra £100 at the time, but at a kilo lighter would have suited me better. Whilst I do ride off road, and might have (though didn't) tour, I was never likely to off-road tour, so the lighter XTC would have been a better bet.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Good find just goes to show depending on peoples circumstances sometimes they will throw a valuable bike away. What are your plans for the bike?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fantastic news, enjoy your new Thorn.

Brains

Legendary Member
Was nice talking to Steve and finding out the history of the bike. Glad I found the original owner. So it turns out somebody would put a thorn in the skip. . Thanks Steve. Take care.

What an amazing find! and a great history!

The next big question is: ...... Is it your size ?????? (Before you take a lot of winter evenings and a more than a few quid to get it back to it's original spec)

PS: What numbers would you suggest for the Lottery ?

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

Going to replace anything that needs replacing and give it a good wash for starters. I do feel like it may be on the small side for my lanky self but wont know till its done. Then who knows. Mabey somebody will have the pleasure of owning it. Im just glad it didn't find its way to the scrap heap.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Going to replace anything that needs replacing and give it a good wash for starters. I do feel like it may be on the small side for my lanky self but wont know till its done. Then who knows. Mabey somebody will have the pleasure of owning it. Im just glad it didn't find its way to the scrap heap.
Just buy a 400mm seatpost, you can always have plenty in the frame if you sell it to a shortarse but that may give you enough room with it at 'minimum insertion'

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

So. I gave the bike a good clean and lube today. Everything is in working order. Took it for a short ride and it rode nicely. But..... its not really my kinda bike. Would anybody be interested in owning it? I'd much rather somebody who would use and appreciate it for what it is.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I, and about a thousand others, want that bike.
The XTC is a well respected frame and anything by Thorn will last for donkeys years.
What size is it?

Top Bottom