Those metal detector things at the airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Has anyone had any issue boarding a plane wearing walkable spd roadshoes with cleats in them?

(I may have asked this already but I cant remember...sorry)

Just dont want to be stuck at the machine trying to convince someone they arnt part of a bomb or something...:?::rolleyes:

Carwash

Señor Member
No, but I've been through them a few times with steel toe capped boots. Usually they just ask you to remove your shoes, and in fact it's often quicker to just take them off in the queue and pop them in the tray with your keys and loose change. That's what I'd recommend you do.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The worst that'll happen is that they'll look at your shoes and see the cleats and let you through. Lots of people have clicky metal doobries on their shoes.

Carwash

Señor Member
rich p said:
The worst that'll happen is that they'll look at your shoes and see the cleats and let you through. Lots of people have clicky metal doobries on their shoes.

Yes, but you don't often see tap dancers going through airport security. :becool:

LLB

Carwash said:
No, but I've been through them a few times with steel-toe capped boots. Usually they just ask you to remove your shoes, and in fact it's often quicker to just take them off in the queue and pop them in the tray with your keys and loose change. That's what I'd recommend you do.

Agree with this. Daughter got caught for her belt buckle on the way out, and learned her lesson on the way back and removed it prior to going through the machine this afternoon

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I always seem to be taking cycling shoes or hiking boots or safety shoes or something when I'm travelling. Since they're often the heaviest shoes I'm taking, I usually wear them to travel.

Even fabric walking boots often have a steel shank in them, so these days I just take my shoes off and send 'em through the x-ray machine.

I've sent cycling shoes through this way a couple of times and no-one's turned a hair.

Mind you, the security folk will frisk every randomth person anyway, just as an extra precaution, so don't worry if it happens to you.

Carwash

Señor Member
The weirdest thing ever to happen to me going through an airport occurred when changing flights at Amsterdam a few years ago, when the Dutch passport control officer held up the rest of the queue to have a conversation with me about where I'd got the 'awesome' t-shirt I was wearing. It was like something out of a Bill Bailey sketch ('Hey Rudi, come take a look at this!'). :becool:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Every time I board a flight I make a point of keeping a lighter on my person, and they never find it. Not a zippo or anything, just a bic disposable.

The metal detectors never pick it up, and if I leave one in my hand-luggage, they don't ever see it. I've had them take nail clippers from me, a can of ginger beer, bottled water that I drink in front of them, but they never catch my lighter. Stupid.

And coming back to the UK they just don't care, they let you on with almost anything, the search I had coming back from Majorca was a joke. You think there would be a greater danger with inbound flights, but no, what do we do, slow everything down at heathrow.....

wallabyhunter

Travelling a lot in aus you see (mostly women) having to remove shoes because of the steel re-inforcing in the instep. :angry:

In aus you can buy carbon fibre capped safety boots, so no disruption at the security.

You'll be OK with the spds.

BTW any clues where I would buy spd sandals in the north of england? Don't want to buy off the net, cause I wann try them on first.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

the other thing i am worried about is the aluminium runner on the back of the rear pannier bag that I intend to take on as my hand luggage...if they make me remove that I am stuffed.

bigjim

Legendary Member
It's not a problem. Just put it all through the x ray machine. They took my bike lock off me. Said that I could strangle the pilot. But it was ok to put my belt back on and proceed. Doohhh.

Jim

ASC1951

Guru
linfordlunchbox said:
Daughter got caught for her belt buckle on the way out, and learned her lesson on the way back and removed it prior to going through the machine this afternoon
Could be worse - I have seen a girl set the klaxons off with the Lonsdale Belt bling she had clipped in her belly piercing.

In fact it could have been a whole lot worse...

Top Bottom