Thoughts on a carrera vulkan 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sgcanimal

Hi guys new member here.
I have had my heart set on purchasing a new bike for around 4 weeks now and thought I would get Xmas out of the way first. Anyway my kids both got new bikes for Xmas so gives me a perfect excuse.
After many hours scowelling the internet looking at 2nd hand I have come to the realisation that, for me at least, I would prefer a nice shiny new bike and the carrera vulkan 2017 is just inside my budget of 400. The bike boasts Clarke's hydro disc brakes, 3x9 shimano altus gears and 120mm sr suntour xcm forks. Could anyone suggest a better bike for sub 400?. I do know that the vulkan would need 2 upgrades for sure. Bigger tyres and wider bars just for a more comfortable ride. I have also been looking at b'twin rock rider 540 amongst others. I even went to a halfords store to take a closer look at the vulkan but they only had the women's in stock. It must be new as I would like a warrantee or some kind of guarantee should anything go wrong. Any advise would be very much appreciated. The kind of riding I will be doing is a mix of off and on road as my daily commute is around 7 miles but nothing too major. Also my weight is currently around 110kg would this be an issue? Thanks for reading my rather long introduction to the site.

Slick

Guru
Hi and welcome to the forum.:welcome:

I'm not one for giving out advice on which bike, there are plenty others with loads of experience in that regard. I think your quite right to go for new but what I found at that price is the components can be quite soft. Still worth it though especially if your only going to be doing short rides. It's amazing how that can change when this cycling malarkey gets a grip of you though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Slick is right, bikes, especially MTBs are rather marginal component wise at your price point. If you can stretch your budget a bit the Bizango also from Halfords is a much better proposition, even won MTB of the year.
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...hardtail/product/voodoo-bizango-review-50627/

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike-2016
Currently £500 but might get reduced in the sale.

Your weight shouldn’t be a problem, I imagine you’re getting this to try and lose a bit. You’ll find it tough at first but it will only get easier. Make sure you get the correct size for you.

Drago

Legendary Member
Carreras own Kraken is a better MTB. Very capable and workmanlike, and in the sales can often be as cheap as half price, so worth keeping an eye out for.

You're a lightweight, a bike like that will have no problem handling your vegetarian league mass, although Suntour XCM forks aren't very well sprung and don't perform well with a heavier rider. Officially the larger sizes come with stiffer springs, but I reckon that's bull. The XCRs of the Kraken are better suited to the manly sized rider. If you join BC, then with 10% off the Kraken is only £5 over budget.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

Hi and welcome to the forum.:welcome:

I'm not one for giving out advice on which bike, there are plenty others with loads of experience in that regard. I think your quite right to go for new but what I found at that price is the components can be quite soft. Still worth it though especially if your only going to be doing short rides. It's amazing how that can change when this cycling malarkey gets a grip of you though.
I just think brand new would be better, if I got 2nd hand and it came with a crack in the frame or something I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I know over time I will be changing parts out as they fail or when I fancy an upgrade. But I just want a good solid bike to begin with. Thanks for the reply, I can't wait to get the bike to be fair. My last bike was a subway 2 converted from road to off road and it was solid never had an issue so I'm thinking carrera is the way forward at this price

OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Slick is right, bikes, especially MTBs are rather marginal component wise at your price point. If you can stretch your budget a bit the Bizango also from Halfords is a much better proposition, even won MTB of the year.
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...hardtail/product/voodoo-bizango-review-50627/

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike-2016
Currently £500 but might get reduced in the sale.

Your weight shouldn’t be a problem, I imagine you’re getting this to try and lose a bit. You’ll find it tough at first but it will only get easier. Make sure you get the correct size for you.
Yes I have been looking at voodoo too and couldn't stretch that far on budget I'm afraid. I like the look of the bizango but if I went with voodoo I would get the Bantu just cos its in my budget. I understand that at this price components will eventually fail. Which is why I can't stretch much more, however I don't mind doing the upgrades in the future. The bizango is on offer at the minute but only for 22 inch frame while stocks lasts so that's out the window unfortunately.

OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

Carreras own Kraken is a better MTB. Very capable and workmanlike, and in the sales can often be as cheap as half price, so worth keeping an eye out for.

You're a lightweight, a bike like that will have no problem handling your vegetarian league mass, although Suntour XCM forks aren't very well sprung and don't perform well with a heavier rider. Officially the larger sizes come with stiffer springs, but I reckon that's bull. The XCRs of the Kraken are better suited to the manly sized rider. If you join BC, then with 10% off the Kraken is only £5 over budget.
Hmmmm thanks for the suggestion. The kraken would be my choice if I had the 450 spare. I will join BC and see how I get on. How do I redeem my discount?

Drago

Legendary Member
Grab the shop assistant by the scruff of the neck, hold your BC membership right in front of their face, and growl "give me my 10% discount or else!". Or you could just produce the card and ask nicely like everyone else.

I believe there's a further discount (5%...?) If you order online.

OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

Hmmmm thanks for the suggestion. The kraken would be my choice if I had the 450 spare. I will join BC and see how I get on. How do I redeem my discount?
Edit: I don't see the point in paying the lowest membership fee of 22 quid to save 48. That only saves me 26 quid off the bike and still puts me 56 quid over the vulkan. I don't mind the forks being not so good I won't be trail riding. Plus over time the forks will be replaced with some air forks anyway
Thanks for the suggestion though.

OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

I just want a good solid bike with plenty of upgrade paths. It doesn't have to be better than the vulkan it just need to be in budget and nice and strong. Must have hydro brakes and lockout forks . if that's pos lol

vickster

Legendary Member
You just show your card in store when you order / pay

You get the 10% off for the whole year. If you get Ride membership you also get important benefits such as 3rd party indemnity (if you hurt someone/something) and legal representation if someone hurts you or your stuff

Do you have to buy in store, you might find some good online deals at Paul's cycles, Wiggle, Rutland, Chain Reaction etc

E.g. If 20" is your size
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s182p9299/MARIN-BOBCAT-TRAIL-3-27-5-2017

Or https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s182p7556/MERIDA-BIG-SEVEN-40D-2017

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

You get the 10% off for the whole year. If you get Ride membership you also get important benefits such as 3rd party indemnity (if you hurt someone/something) and legal representation if someone hurts you or your stuff

Do you have to buy in store, you might find some good online deals at Paul's cycles, Wiggle, Rutland, Chain Reaction etc

E.g. If 20" is your size

E.g. If 20" is your size

Thanks for those suggestions but I still think the vulkan is the better bike with the 120mm forks, 180mm disc upfront and slightly lighter frame. I think I've hit the nail on the head with the vulkan unless someone can show me something miles ahead for the same price. Budget is my main problem at the minute. Like I say I don't mind upgrades in the future as I know the vulkan will need higher capacity tyres and wider bars but that's not too much to bring it up to standard, and yes the forks will eventually be replaced but I am in no rush I have some in mind already. I think I have my mind made up to be honest. My friend just got a kraken and the upgrades aren't that intrusive on the vulkan spec sheet. Plus I think personally the vulkan looks better with the matt paint job. I just wanna get on the road now asap lol

OP
OP
Sgcanimal

Sgcanimal

Also guys if I did go second hand I found this deal on Facebook. Its not local at all but he said he is willing to meet halfway. He want 380 for a forme blackrock full suspension. Its 5 years old but retail was once upon a time 1400 quid.

Top Bottom