Thoughts on new crank/cassette ratios please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I must be missing something here, a 50/12 gives about 110-113 GI's, I wouldn't spin out on that until about 40mph and I don't have a very high max cadence, about 120rpm. In this gear every 5rpm of pedal speed gives you about 1.6mph. If a hill's steep enough I find I get as much by tucking down as I would by trying to pedal.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
MacB said:
I must be missing something here, a 50/12 gives about 110-113 GI's, I wouldn't spin out on that until about 40mph and I don't have a very high max cadence, about 120rpm. In this gear every 5rpm of pedal speed gives you about 1.6mph. If a hill's steep enough I find I get as much by tucking down as I would by trying to pedal.

That's curious, we have a few nice long downhill slopes and I find that anything above 30ish mph and I'm wasting my time pedalling.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
your right scook, i just need to change my cycling technique lol i haven't use the compact long so have only encountered this rubbing recently. I never had it with my standard so i never used to think about strain and wear on my chainset. I think i need to get on the big ring more instead of dropping right down the cassette. Thanks for your input.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
scook94 said:
That's curious, we have a few nice long downhill slopes and I find that anything above 30ish mph and I'm wasting my time pedalling.

maybe it's my additional personal weight then:blush: but on my commute home there's one hill I normally hit my top speed on, generally 36-37mph, I've never needed to go beyond 105 GI's to do this and can do it at 90 GI's if I pedal like mad.

These No's are all based on the Sheldon calculator and selecting speeds for given RPM's. I reverse calculated to create my own formula and have a table showing gear inches and then expected mph for given RPM's, I run the RPM's from 40 to 120 in 5 rpm steps. It's a lot easier than it sounds, the formula is:-

gear inches * rpm * 60 * 3.14 / 63360

To pedal at 30mph in your top gear I reckon I'd need to be doing about 95rpm.

scook94 said:

Get some aero wheels - you can overtake without pedalling!

PpPete

Legendary Member
scook94 said:
Jimbo, as usual you're way too technical for me! the bike is going to be based round a new Ti frame, so hopefully it'll be nice and light, lighter than my current steel frame anyway.

I'm not great at climbing, but I'm making good progress at improving. I don't really want to jeopardise that too much by having too big a granny ring, but on the other hand I'll (at some point) want to really start doing some serious climbs.

I'm currently doing 45 mile rides over hilly and undulating terrain so there's not much cruising to be done.

I'm thinking that if the proposed set up is going to be too different I'll stick to 50/34 on the front and maybe go with 11-26. Perhaps sticking with what I know up front will make it easier to get the cassette that would suit me?

He's too technical for most of us !

Seriosuly though.... your existing 12-25 cassette, is that 9 speed or 10 speed? Do you know how many teeth on each sprocket?

Let's assume it's 9 speed and 25mm tyres - so from the table I linked earlier your current gear inches are as follows
50 Chainring:
12T 110 GI
13T 102
14T 94
15T 88
17T 78
19T 70
21T 63
23T (58)
25T (53)

On your 34 chainring:
12T (75) GI
13T (69)
14T 64
15T 60
17T 53
19T 47
21T 43
23T 39
25T 36

The ones in (parentheses) are ones you don't use - right?
Now - which of those do you use MOST?

It doesnt matter if you have completely different chainrings on the new set-up but you'll want similar gear inches (or maybe slightly higher numbers if it's a whizzy Ti job and lighter than your current steed) so you need to pick your cassette accordingly.

You can multiply those gear inches by MacB's formula if you want mph for a given rpm - if you find that easier.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies, gave me a lot to think about!

However, I've decided to wimp out and just go with what I know (50/34 & 12-25). Would hate to spend all that money and find out I've boobed with my choice!

Thinking about pedals now.... :biggrin:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scook94 said:
Thanks for all the replies, gave me a lot to think about!

However, I've decided to wimp out and just go with what I know (50/34 & 12-25). Would hate to spend all that money and find out I've boobed with my choice!

Thinking about pedals now.... :biggrin:

I must've just missed you, just been down to SBC, Craig informed me of your choice. I think you should buy those speedplays before someone else does (Dan).

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
eldudino said:
I must've just missed you, just been down to SBC, Craig informed me of your choice. I think you should buy those speedplays before someone else does (Dan).

I'm looking at the Zero Stainless ones as opposed to the ones he had on display. What colour though? LOL

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
eldudino said:
Altho, what colour are the crank arms on your new stuff?

Carbon I think....

SRAM%20Red%20Crankset.jpg

Top Bottom