Thoughts on selling......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it can make sense to sell a bike in parts when using ebay. The thing is if you send a working bike this seems to be a way of the buyer to claim it isn't working correctly and other factors to claim against you. Far more difficult if you send a non-working bike i.e. perhaps frame and forks, wheels, groupset and a few other individual parts. Also selling parts means a more serious cyclist who likely knows what he is doing rather than someone with no mechanical experience who just wants a cheap bike. Ideally though sell locally on ebay with a fixed price cash on collection or through gumtree, facebook marketplace etc.

Sometimes you might have a bike with a very sought after part and it can make sense to sell that part separately.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I can understand you not wanting to cycle on the busy roads in Greater Manchester, but aren't you even slightly tempted by quieter roads such as those in the Ribble Valley?

I possibly would but I just don't have the time for that :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I possibly would but I just don't have the time for that :sad:
Oh, that's a great pity!

I know that there are several people on the forum who are too busy at work or in caring roles to have much personal time.

My sister is a bit like that. She always seems to be busy doing something apart from when she walks her dog. No sooner had she retired than she got a new job in a village shop... :wacko:

tinywheels

Über Member
If its lost interest in cycling I fully understand. My own will to ride disappeared over a year ago and hasn't returned.
However, keep one of the bikes. Just in case you get a moment of lunacy when the bike screams "Ride me big boy!" These moments are rare, but the few times when I've given into her demands I've been rewarded handsomely.
I have thought about selling mine but shes just too pretty and I've spent too much time and effort building her to just offload her to someone else.
Trust me, there will be days when the road/trail beckons you for a good thrashing/pootle.
oooo err mississ
nothing like getting your leg over,and giving it a good hammering for an hour or so
excuse me while my heart rate returns to normal

Sounds like you need the space more than the money so I would put them on ebay collection only if you dont want too much faff. I dont think you will get a lot for the old Cannondle, if you have room in your loft I would just leave them there in case you ever want to ride them again. I have 2 x 10yr old Kuota Road bikes one I have not ridden for 2 years the other for months and a 5 yr old specialized MTB I have not ridden for months, if I sold them I wouldnt get a lot and then if I wanted to replace them later with similar spec would cost me around 4.5 K each . (cos new bike prices are now really silly)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A big part part of the issue though is I have absolutely no desire to ride on the road what so ever, and despite years of actively despising indoor trainers, it turns out I'd simply never found the right one.

Get a mountain bike and come with us to Wales, not had any deaths yet, just one person who nearly pooped themselves. :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A big part part of the issue though is I have absolutely no desire to ride on the road what so ever, and despite years of actively despising indoor trainers, it turns out I'd simply never found the right one.
I'm not clear if selling will leave you with a bike to use on the trainer or not? If you only have two what you're actually saying is you want to give up cycling. I think that's a different decision and suggest you wait till the weather improves.

I paid £400 for a 2017 Cannondale, as @HarryTheDog said don't expect much for it.

Good luck with your decision. I've been close to it a few times in the last two years. I took up gravel riding and rekindled my enthusiasm. I was surprised by how much off road there is in our area. We often ride 70-80 mile loops to Manchester with perhaps 5-6 miles on road.

gzoom

Über Member
if I sold them I wouldnt get a lot and then if I wanted to replace them later with similar spec would cost me around 4.5 K each . (cos new bike prices are now really silly)

Probably the best reason NOT to sell even if you don't use the bike(s) now. I hadn't used my road bike for about 4 years between my daughter been born and than lock down. In the last 12 months I've been out on it 3 times, and in 2022 I suspect it will zero as all my 'fitness' rides are done on the indoor spin bike.

I've now bought a cover for it and its sitting in the garage. It works fine but at 11 years old I suspect I would get £500 for it max, a brand new version from Trek looks almost identical but has disc brake and weighs MORE at a cost of £5000 roughly.

So very little financial gain from selling it, who knows I might end up using once or twice in the summer....

Top Bottom