Thoughts on these bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Note, don't worry, I will take them for a test ride first :smile:

Boardman Pro Carbon SLR - https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-pro-carbon-slr-mens-road-bike.html
PRO: Decent frame by the looks of things, surprisingly good wheelset for a bike at this price. Seemingly very light, coming in at under 7kg?!
CONS: SRAM, which I'm not used to using, but would consider this a minor inconvenience presuming that it's not a steep learning curve to get used to SRAM

Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.0 - https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes...te-slr-endurance-9-0-mens-road-bike-2016.html
PRO: Nice frame (seen on bikes right up the range), decent components (i.e Ultegra) for the price
CONS: Not sure how good the wheels are (think they RRP at around £250, so presumably they're OK), could look more exciting

Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.2 - https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes...te-slr-endurance-9-2-mens-road-bike-2016.html
PRO: Dura Ace
CONS: As above, unknown on the wheels, is it worth an extra few hundred quid to get Dura Ace over Ultegra? Plus, it's not the most exciting looking bike.

I'm really just after whether people have any view on what they'd view as the best in terms of VFM, is there something I've missed in assessing these bikes?

Small-ish price diffs aside, I can't really draw out huge differences between the 3. What surprised me is that the cheapest of the 3 is purportedly the lightest...

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM rocks :smile:
Sram groupsets are also a bit lighter than the shimano equivalent
Which groupset is it (link won't open for me)

Last edited:

Tangoup51

Mm, i remember these bikes I stalked on boardmans website. I found they had very similar frame material/design/forks to that of their lesser expensive halfords bunch. Made me wonder why they were so expensive though.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/385-slr-disc-9.2.html - This has a good value rep on it apparently!! Wonder if any other place sells this? If you're going for 1.5K + You could look at something with disc brakes. I know i would now that i've rode with them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
First of all I would look the geometry of the Pro carbon versus Endurance and decide what type of riding will you be doing. Then I would arrange test rides on the most suitable bikes from lots of brands.

I would not trust the quoted weights at all.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All are great bikes and I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. Boardman are known for giving vfm. There is nothing wrong with SRAM and the fact that they might be lighter than Shimano isn't going to be of any consequence, you might as well remove your pocket change. Similarly with Ultegra v Dura Ace its not a black/white difference. Choose the one you like the look of and sets your pulse racing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Force is equivalent to Ultegra but a smidge lighter

Don't forget quoted weights are usually for a smaller frame and without pedals

The silver one is by far the best looking

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Thanks folks, all useful advice and comments.

Think I'll take the Pro Carbon SLR and the Endurance 9.2 for test rides and work out which I prefer

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Decided on the Pro Carbon SLR - took it for a test ride and it felt nice and solid, smooth and seemed to shift away from standing start pretty well.

I think it's going to take me a little while to get used to it. My Road Team Carbon was in Large and felt like just the right fit, whereas with this one I've gone for the XL and even then, it feels a bit on the small side, but thinking that it's really just because of the different geometry on the bikes - figured out that the Team Carbon has a longer seat tube as standard i.e. seat tube on the XL Pro SLR is still shorter than the seat tube on the Large Road Carbon.

Put the saddle up to more my liking and it felt better.

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Did you get BC Halfords discount ok?

What's the sram force like?

Had to argue with them as they claimed that it didn't apply to sale bikes, and one of the lads then went further to claim that he didn't think they offered it on bikes at all?!? I showed them the BC website which clearly said that the discount was for all items including sale, and they still argued. Went back and forth with their manager via phone and they eventually relented, though I don't see why I should have wasted my time arguing.

Top Bottom