Thoughts on this older bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I've entered LEL, with my only usable bike being a specialized tarmac. I'm contemplating buying / building a steel bike with a genesis equilibrium being most likely. Or I may well use my tarmac. I've fitted raceblades and am looking at a new rear mech and bigger cassette to give me a lower gear. It's quite comfortable and getting better the more I use it.

Gumtree has just thrown up this. It seems like a lot of money for what it is. I've never used compag and don't know if it's a lovingly cherished bike with topnotch older parts or something thrown together from a parts box. What do you think folks?

Drago

Legendary Member
It appears a touch expensive, and the title slightly misleading as all bicycles are hand built - you don't find many blokes with no hands welding/brazing frames or bolting components on.

Nevertheless, it also appears in good order, with a good quality frame and has a decent, sensible spec. If you can afford it then its worth further investigation.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's your choice - I'll be riding, providing I make it, a home-built Ridgeback Platinum from 2012 which has older componentry (Dura Ace 7800 / Ultegra 6700).

Basically it's about whatever is comfortable for that distance that you can fix easily if it goes wrong. You would need to get some miles in first to make sure everything's OK.

For a long event like the LEL, I would want something that's easy to fettle, on the hoof, and that you can get bits for easily. If I were in your position, I'd use the Tarmac, but get a cassette with a wide range, and a 30 tooth big sprocket.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice bike. I'd say the asking price is reasonable, but you may be able to reduce it by maybe fifty quid or so.

Is it the correct size for you? If you want a comfy long distance bike I'd say its ideal.

If you want to save money put the bigger cassette on the Tarmac, you might even be able to use the existing mech. I've a sneaking suspicion you fancy buying the bike.

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Looks quite nice to me. You'd certainly be getting a lot more bike for your money than if you bought new!

If it's close to you I'd go for a look and inspect the bike - if the ad blurb is honest about the bike only having done a couple of hundred miles I'd be very tempted myself. Less so if there's wear and tear as I always end up spending as much again doing up the (admittedly cheap as chips) bikes I buy on gumtree/ebay.

Top Bottom