thread repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Yes, it could be filled in with a decent welder, it wouldn't weaken it if it's done properly.
Having said that I would still rather tap it out... :smile:
I was thinking that when filling, after redrilling and retapping, there's not going to be much left of the weld fill, just the thread ridges, which would mean stripping the thread would be quite easy.

DRM

Guru
I was thinking that when filling, after redrilling and retapping, there's not going to be much left of the weld fill, just the thread ridges, which would mean stripping the thread would be quite easy.
There would be no thread left, you would be tapping fresh metal, the hole would be smaller than the original hole to tap new threads into it.

silva

Über Member
A weld harms quite some mechanical properties of steel in case the steel was given certain crystalline structures when produced.

piglet

Hi BinyamIn I am anew member so you have probably solved your dropout problem but here's goes.1,cut off the existing gear hanger from dropout and then use a bolt on hanger.or a neater solution is to cut off hanger from dropout,fix the bolt on hanger mark the hanger on the reverse side under the dropout remove bolt On hanger from frame and cut hanger along your mark .The gear part can then be welded to the dropout .This is a straight forward job for competent local welders shop.It was common mod in the early days of campag gears .I had it done 60 years ago.Hope this helps.

Top Bottom