Thread title... erm, 'Hi'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The hardest part of starting this thread was trying to think of something quirky for the title and as you'll see i failed miserably!

I'm Sarah, from the North east and love keeping fit- I go to the gym and am obsessed with spinning. My hubby and i want to get some bikes and hit the outdoors.

I did have a bike once. In fact i just sold it a couple of months ago for £20, which isnt bad considering i bought it brand new for £50! I loved going out for a ride on it but hated the part where i had to change gears as the chain always fell off.

So, here i am excited to get going but don't have a clue about what kind of bike i should get, what kind of rides i want to do or where i want to do them. All i do know is that i'm not getting one of those embarrassing helmets that looks like a mushroom, been there done that.

I am going to enjoy whiling away a few hours reading all the topics on here and sussing out what i am going to do. I may ask some silly questions every now and then (ok, i'll ask a lot of silly questions a lot of the time) but bear with me while i get acquainted.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
:welcome:

There are no silly questions. It's the answers that are silly.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi! Once you have got a half-decent bike and tried the great outdoors there is no going back!

One of the great things about cycling outdoors, whether off-road on on, is that it works your brain and your body in so many more interesting ways than just spinning indoors in a gym. You have to be responsive, alive, aware - you receive all sorts of stimuli to your eyes and ears and skin - and you get to go somewhere instead of pedalling hard to stay still!

Get yourself to a bike shop and spend a bit more than 50 quid - my workhorse hybrid is reasonable quality and cost about £300. A bad bike will always give you a bad ride, so get what you can afford.

Happy Biking!

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome I think that someone should offer you a warning that at some point you will end up owning more than one bike lol. The main thing is as stated before buy the best you can and always try to have a test ride ! Possibly your best bet for a start may be an hybrid these being a compromise between a road bike and the mtb.

The Mighty News

The hardest part of starting this thread was trying to think of something quirky for the title and as you'll see i failed miserably!

I'm Sarah, from the North east and love keeping fit- I go to the gym and am obsessed with spinning. My hubby and i want to get some bikes and hit the outdoors.

I did have a bike once. In fact i just sold it a couple of months ago for £20, which isnt bad considering i bought it brand new for £50! I loved going out for a ride on it but hated the part where i had to change gears as the chain always fell off.

So, here i am excited to get going but don't have a clue about what kind of bike i should get, what kind of rides i want to do or where i want to do them. All i do know is that i'm not getting one of those embarrassing helmets that looks like a mushroom, been there done that.

I am going to enjoy whiling away a few hours reading all the topics on here and sussing out what i am going to do. I may ask some silly questions every now and then (ok, i'll ask a lot of silly questions a lot of the time) but bear with me while i get acquainted.

HI Sarah, im told my road bike (Specialized Allez) is an excellent starter road bike, if oyu want to spend a little more you could go to the Elite fo rbetter components.

The Mighty News

Hi and welcome I think that someone should offer you a warning that at some point you will end up owning more than one bike lol. The main thing is as stated before buy the best you can and always try to have a test ride ! Possibly your best bet for a start may be an hybrid these being a compromise between a road bike and the mtb.

haha, I now have three!! and I no way ride enough to utilise them!

Top Bottom