threadless headsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

:smile: Hi, piedwagtail91. Yes, usually they come with these parts, but, if you have a carbon steerer on your forks, you would be better off using a bung which expands inside the steerer tube!
The problem with star nut/washers is that they can possibly chew-up the inside of the steerer and cause a failure. ;)
If in doubt consult your LBS.

The name of the threadless headset is AHeadset and the threaded is Headset. The best way to put the starwasher in is to leave it till last. with the bike on the ground, your stem and spacers in place take the top cap put the bolt in thread the starwasher on a 1/4. Now put the starwasher onto the top of the steerer and then tap down bit by bit.

Job done:thumbsup:

OP
OP
P
bonj said:
Another piece of information you may not have known: Victoria ISN'T the queen any more. :biggrin:

hell never knew that:biggrin:
i've two beautiful campag record headsets in my bikes that are still in perfect condition after many years of use.
the new threadless job is going in a pompino (Sorry know you don't liked fixed;))
if i could have got another campag record threaded i would have done and changed the forks and got a ahead adaptor.

thanks for the info spandex.

barq

Do make sure you get the starnut in straight!

Piedwagtail91, you were right originally - 'AheadSet' is a specific Cane Creek trademark, 'threadless headset' is the generic term.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
'AheadSet' is a specific Cane Creek trademark
I can't quite remember what the tie up is between Cane Creek and Dia Compe, but technically it's them that have the exclusive rights to John Rader's AHead designs.

I also can't remember what the 'bad blood' is between Shimano and Dia Compe, but it must be significant as the big S still refuses to make an AHeadset, in order to avoid paying royalties to DiaCompe!

barq

Tim Bennet. said:
I can't quite remember what the tie up is between Cane Creek and Dia Compe, but technically it's them that have the exclusive rights to John Rader's AHead designs.

I can't remember the precise nature of the relationship either. There is a bit more information about AheadSets here and Dia Compe are mentioned in the Cane Creek history.

I'll stop being dull now. :biggrin:

Shi**no have only once manufactured a product with someone elses name on it, the original XTR/Dura Ace seat post used Easton tubing. Its ridiculous that they dont make a threadless headset. Not that it matters, I refuse to use their shoot anyway.

Top Bottom