Threadless "Repair" Bottom Bracket into an English Threaded BB Shell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will it fit?

I have a Puch frame - total gas piper, nothing special - that I'm shoving 700c wheels on and 7-speed for a town hack. Frame already "cold set" for it, being the posh phrase for bent out with some threaded rod.

It's got an English threaded bottom bracket shell and the threads don't seem in fantastic shape, so it seems that the cheapest option would be to fit a threadless b/b (the type that the cups screw and compress onto each other rather than into) the frame. Anybody done this with the English threaded shells? Do they fit or do the marginally different size threads prevent it from working?

midlife

Guru
At 35 to 40 quid I'd be tempted to find another beater frame?

Shaun

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I've used the threadless ones before in repairs, but on standard shells. Apart from the shell being 73 rather than the modern norm 68, is it just the thread pitch that is different on English B/B shells or are they slightly smaller in diameter too?

tyred

Legendary Member
I used one in my Carlton as the threads were FUBAR and no issues several thousand miles later.

I'd say though if you have at least some threads a normal cartridge type would probably be okay as (IMO) it doesn't load the threads in the same way as a cup and cone type. On my MTB, the threads are poor and the adjustable cup kept coming out but since replacing it with a cartridge (with plastic fitting nut) it has been fine for the last 1,500 miles.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I had a similar Mavic BB once, worked very well.

You'll notice that the inside part of the ends are angled where they come up against the ends of the BB shell. You ought to put a matching chamfer on the inside edge of the BB shell (45deg, iirc), but if you don't, it will wear one in, but you'll probably have to tighten it up a coup,e of times whilst it's doing so.

Top Bottom