Threat to Cycling England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
That is a frightening figure. I wonder how much the (volunteer) IAM training costs? We surely need critical analysis of our riding whether 7 or 70 but that is not sustainable at that price. I'm guessing that the CRB checks on all those involved doesn't help especially when we lose more kids under the wheels of motorists than to the whiles of paedophiles.

The joy of cycling is that it can be a low/no cost liberating transportation system. Spending a pittance on Cycling England or even less is of no consequence whilst we allow unlimited advertising spending on the penis extending powers of modern motors. That's the real issue - why people are kidded into spending a significant part of their income in a non-optimal transportation system. And I think you already know the answer ...

£50 per kid per day is a joke. Perhaps this whole cuts agenda and this stupid 'Big Society' idea plays into our hands a little as this is the one thing which more people should (and I imagine indeed would) want to volunteer for. And is also something that clearly could be done better by volunteers and without all this bloody bureaucracy. Infact I'd encourage people on this site or maybe CTC to try and set something up.

mark barker

£50 per kid per day is a joke.
Not sure if this figure is correct... The instructors around here get £35 per child per course (consisting of level 1 & 2). Thats around 10 hours of tuition over 7 days.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Not sure if this figure is correct... The instructors around here get £35 per child per course (consisting of level 1 & 2). Thats around 10 hours of tuition over 7 days.
I've got figures of £40 for the instructors with an extra £10 on the top paid by the parents to the CTC - and that's one level only

Either way - the level of take-up doesn't afford individual instructors a vast income - particularly if they have to do their own marketing. And my point about shifting the onus on to kids still stands

jonesy

Guru
I am actually quite disappointed to hear some of the comments about Bikeability- I'd regarded it as one of the relatively few worthwhile things government money has being spent on for cycling, not least because, unlike spending money on 'cycle paths', training is all about riding on the road and so is complementary to the 'hierarchy' and helps give people the skills and confidence to ride their bikes in traffic rather than assuming cycling isn't safe unless done on a segregated path. I'd felt it to be something positive and empowering, as well as practicable and deliverable. But I do know that dell and regulator will have good grounds for their concerns, and I'd be interested to know more. Do you think the problem is with the training itself, or with the way in which it is being delivered?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
in my view both. In England (I'm not so sure about the rest of the UK) we use kids to pioneer things we don't want to do ourselves. That's dishonest. Bikeability is a means by which adults pass off their failure to gather political will on to children. Not nice. And, in true government style, we've made it over-complicated and expensive.

And, in the case of Milton Keynes (which, as I've said, may have coloured my judgement) the CTC has behaved so scandalously that not only has the programme gone off like a damp squib, not only has it been expensive, but we've seen the ghost of corruption undercutting people's livelyhoods. Bikeability appears to be distressingly open to abuse, and CE and their chosen helpmates don't appear to be up to the task of ensuring that it's run properly.

Who stands for cycling in this country? The truth is, Jonesy, that you do, matey. There's a solid corps of transport consultants who see stuff working and other stuff not working. What's lacking is a kind of ideological framework to put it together. There are people like Natalya B in TfL who can plot out a sustainable future for urban transport in which the car plays a small subsidiary role and, better yet, the general populace miss it no more than a reformed smoker misses his tabs. There's people like Bricycles sticking pins in their local Councillors.

There's also, potentially, the wisdom of however many thousand CTC members (and even more Sustrans supporters), presently parked in a layby by their own organisation. The problem is that the bigger cycling organisations have become lobbyists, fine in itself, but limited in potential. They've foregone their principal task which is to campaign on the basis of an ideology (by which I mean a critical intellectual framework). They spend their time shuffling around the corridors of the DfT touting for business when they should be saying 'this is what cycling can do for this country, and this is what we propose to make it happen'. I accept that being a consumer organisation imposes limits on the political rhetoric that can be employed, but the last thirteen years granted cycling organisations the most tremendous opportunity to form a theory of the city that they might promulgate. In the event we've actually stumbled along in the wake of Ken Livingstone (whose own vision of the city goes back to at least 1970) and a few city councils, as surprised by what works as anybody else, drawing dopey little maps with wiggly green lines, and asking kids to shoulder the burden.

CE is part of this failure. I can't tell you that it's all crap, but I, for one, won't miss it.

Top Bottom