Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The weather was miserable at the start of the week but luckily it improved by Friday so I managed to get out three mornings running. Two rides up to Cramlington and one yesterday just pottering around Blyth and checking what ships are in at the harbour. Two 45 minute rides and one just over the half hour.

When I was commuting I would occasionally start to freewheel at the top of the hill into town on my way home and see how far I could get without running out of steam. Tried it the other morning - different bike & wind behind me - and got almost to the roundabout. Google tells me it's over ½ a mile :smile:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm still in this challenge, having done three rides per week so far. I don't really log mileage or time, so my reports are sadly lacking, but they are all over the half hour mark.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W14R1 - Centurion 30 mins - local miles.
W14R2 - Centurion 35 mins - local miles.
W14R3 - Centurion 1 hour 15 mins - local miles (2cnd best 35km since I started tracking my rides and only 3 of the gears engage).
W14R4 - CX 1 hour 25 mins - Clarion run extended out past Colne in winds gusting to over 50mph
@annedonnelly spotted some more!
DSC_1158y.JPG

annedonnelly

@FrothNinja I was going to get a photo of the chap's garden up the road but it was blowing a gale. I might pop back when it calms down. The display is amazing. I suspect they like the wet weather.

A failure this week. Only one qualifying ride. But I'm not going to beat myself up for not going out during storm Kathleen. I did ride on both days of non stop raining but shorter utility rides. Thank goodness for waterproofs.

Tomorrow is another week. Fingers crossed for better weather and more rides.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was hoping to do more but weather not so great when I wanted to ride. I had been waiting for a break this evening but an hour before sunset and the rain has started hammering down again... I give up for this week so my weekly average slips back a little! :laugh:

Week 14: 3 qualifying rides, 55 km, 3¼ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 15 km. ELLL including Woodhouse climb to Lumbutts, then beyond Walsden before u-turning and heading home. 1 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Thu): 22 km. ELLL towards Hebden Bridge, then Harvelin Park, Mankinholes, Lumbutts, Walsden and back. 1¼ hrs.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 18 km. ELLL. 1 hr.
All rides done on the 6-er, mostly 42/15 gear, but easier gears used on steeper than usual climbs on rides.

Success rate: 14 weeks out of 14.

44 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 1,044 km. Average progress now = 74.6%; last week = 76.1%. Total ride time approximately 62¼ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

(I am getting a terrible case of déjà vu here but despite feeling that I have posted this before, I can't find such a post, so here you go...)

In case anybody wonders what ELLL stands for in my posts in this thread, it is Extended Lumpy Local Loop. (There was originally a LLL which took me about half an hour but I lengthened it to one that now takes me about 45 minutes. The idea was to come up with a route short enough to squeeze in when I didn't want to do a longer ride. The lumpy bits are to make the route more interesting, and I use a 42/15 gear to make those lumps more challenging. (Sometimes I make the route even longer and lumpier, and then I have to resort to using lower gears.)

These are the little climbs that I 'sprint'*** up:

Stansfield Rd
Stansfield Rd.jpg

Park Rd
Park Rd.jpg

Stansfield Hall Rd
Stansfield Hall Rd.jpg

Knowlwood Rd
Knowlwood Rd.jpg

Rise Ln

Rise Ln.jpg

They are not long or steep enough to exhaust me, but riding up all of them 3 times a week through the winter seems enough to keep me fairly fit.

*** I am not fit enough to sprint quickly - I just ride up them as quickly as I can!

bluenotebob

Veteran
(I am getting a terrible case of déjà vu here but despite feeling that I have posted this before, I can't find such a post, so here you go...)

It's ringing the faintest of faint bells .. I think you posted something called 'Colin's Short Climbs series ??' two or three years ago. I don't recognise the photos that you've posted above .. I seem to recall the earlier ones were out in the countryside (but close to Tod) ... if that helps ..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It's ringing the faintest of faint bells .. I think you posted something called 'Colin's Short Climbs series ??' two or three years ago. I don't recognise the photos that you've posted above .. I seem to recall the earlier ones were out in the countryside (but close to Tod) ... if that helps ..
I remember posting about those other climbs. They were scenic dead-end roads up the sides of the valley. I rode up them after reading a cyclist's posts on them elsewhere.

I did manage to find one post where I included a photo of Rise Ln but not the others.

I definitely included an elevation profile in one post but maybe I did not add the photos.

My memory is pretty bad theses days. More than once I have searched for information on a subject and found my own posts explaining it! :eek: :laugh:

annedonnelly

First ride of the week done, incorporating a diversion for photos @FrothNinja

2024-04-08 09.46.55.jpg

2024-04-08 09.46.19.jpg

This is about 10 minutes walk from home, but I only discovered it because of Covid staying close to home and exploring many of the streets nearby. The guy who owns the garden says he's tried over many years to get the fritillary to spread into the wild - dropping seeds in likely places - but he's had no luck. Once the fritillary have finished the other wild flowers come through.

FrothNinja

Veteran

View attachment 726950

View attachment 726951

This is about 10 minutes walk from home, but I only discovered it because of Covid staying close to home and exploring many of the streets nearby. The guy who owns the garden says he's tried over many years to get the fritillary to spread into the wild - dropping seeds in likely places - but he's had no luck. Once the fritillary have finished the other wild flowers come through.

Token Grape Hyacinth too

Tail End Charlie

View attachment 726950

View attachment 726951

That is beautiful.

Tail End Charlie

Managed another week last week, getting three rides in. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I'm on holiday for a week from Thursday, so the next two weeks will be tricky. I've got a ride in today, but will need a ride Tuesday and Wednesday and then to ride on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when I get back (or two rides some days) to still be in!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Managed another week last week, getting three rides in. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I'm on holiday for a week from Thursday, so the next two weeks will be tricky. I've got a ride in today, but will need a ride Tuesday and Wednesday and then to ride on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when I get back (or two rides some days) to still be in!

Fingers crossed for you

Top Bottom