Three cheers for Coventry City Council

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Interesting that the article links cycling with climate change, that would be well down my list of benefits of cycling .

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
must say coventry is not the nicest place to cycle - fortunately I keep well away from the city centre. Tis a shame the hospital walsgrave hasn't followed the example though, its installed a load of those wheelbender bike stands - the ones you cant lock your frame to - rather daft if you ask me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

GrahamG

Guru
£42k won't go far filling roads but providing secure cycle parking is a major bonus - Birmingham city council identified lack of storage/parking at origin and destination as the major barrier to cycle use.

Trillian

its been in place for over a year, fenced off no one has been able to get to it,

its also in one of the dodgeyest areas tucked behind all the loading docks for the city centre shops at the bottom of one end of a multi story car park

personally i'd not use it at all.

discplayer

snorri said:
Interesting that the article links cycling with climate change, that would be well down my list of benefits of cycling .

Also strange* that they don't link it with the health related work they do. For a council they're quite active on health issues.

* Actually, given the way many organisations work it's not that strange.

domtyler

Über Member
Trillian said:
its been in place for over a year, fenced off no one has been able to get to it,

its also in one of the dodgeyest areas tucked behind all the loading docks for the city centre shops at the bottom of one end of a multi story car park

personally i'd not use it at all.

Ah, so it looks like User may have been a little hasty? Oh dear!

snorri

Legendary Member
PatrickPending said:
Tis a shame the hospital walsgrave hasn't followed the example though, its installed a load of those wheelbender bike stands - the ones you cant lock your frame to - rather daft if you ask me.

I hope you have written to the hospital authorities and told them so, and also to the LA planning department to ask why permission was given for construction of something unfit for stated use.

Trillian

went past them today, none of them in use, no indication of how to use it or where and how to get access.

they've been built above the sheffield stands that used to be (and still are) there and replacing some cages (had to wait 5 mins to get one of the 8 cages that were there) the pole to lock to is very narrow and flimsy.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
These sorts of facilities are often in dodgy car parks/areas, that is the nature of multistoreys. However, they're was one in town here, know what the total capacity was? 5 bikes. I say well done to them.

Robster

snorri said:

In my case I'd say its top of my list, closely followed by keeping me fit.

Its funny the way its worded makes it sound like they are saying Councillor Nigel Lee is responsible for Climate Change. Possibly a little harsh to lay all the blame on one man ;)

Top Bottom