Three questions if I may?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ceedee

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=17573

My current crank length is 175mm should I keep the same length when I order my upgrade? or is there any benefit from changing.

The bottom bracket has two lengths, do I just measure where the bottom bracket goes? (what ever it is called)

also the front mech do I just measure the width of the seat tube?

I have to order it this week as the 10% off ends ;)

Thanks for your help.

bonj2

it's called the bottom bracket shell, and yes you just measure it from one side to the other.
I would presume the front mech measurements is the diameter of the seat tube. I'd measure it with vernier calipers, if you can get hold of some/got some, and if the measurement matches one of the listed ones, then that'd be good enough for me. But somebody else might be along soon who knows for sure.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You don't need to worry about the width of the bb shell but you need to specify whether your bb is English or Italian. On an English bb the drive-side thread is left handed, and an Italian bb has a right hand thread.

As Bonj says just measure the diameter of the seat tube, either with a caliper or between the jaws of an adjustable spanner. Most road bikes are 31.8mm.

If you are happy with your present crank lengths stick with them, but for most people under 6' tall 172.5 is the most popular.

OP
OP
C

Ceedee

Smokin Joe said:
You don't need to worry about the width of the bb shell but you need to specify whether your bb is English or Italian. On an English bb the drive-side thread is left handed, and an Italian bb has a right hand thread.

Thanks for the info, how do I find this out, any ideas?

Ceedee;50244][quote=Smokin Joe said:

Thanks for the info, how do I find this out, any ideas?

Does it starts to rotate in a backward direction when there's trouble ahead?

If so, it's probably Italian.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Tell us what the frame is, 'most' frames are english threads*

As for Crank length, 175 is pretty much the standard on MTB's and for folk with long legs. But if you are using 175 and its fine, i would carry on.

*note i said 'most' ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Thats an English thread then ;)

Top Bottom