Throttle E Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, we know, and without pedalling it must cut out at 4MPH unless its a pre 2016 machine. We have already mentioned this.

And read the law carefully. Beyond that the throttle can only 'assist', it can not do all the work for you - not only do the pedals have to be going round, but the rider must be providing some effort else the throttle isn't merely assisting, its actually providing all the propulsion.

Assist (as in the EAPC legislation) is the key word, and that is all the throttle can do above 4MPH - simply waggling your feet about while the throttle does all the work is not legal, because the rider must be providion propulsion.

Its a sheet piece of legislation, and that aspect is impossible to police.

Last edited:
I can see with a sensor to measure the torque on the pedals you can require some effort, but I note my bike has a sensor to see if pedals turning, it does not measure torque, to my mind whole idea is to get exercise, I don't want the motor to do it all, it rather defeats the whole idea, may as well get a moped.

I have 5 levels of assistance, and wife has three, but how they work is very different, mine seems to be speed related, so level one cuts in under 4 MPH and level 5 never seems to cut out, so in the main use level 2, which only seems to cut in under 8 MPH so in the main rides like a non electric bike until slowed down to under 8 MPH.

My wife's bike is very different, it seems to give assistance at any speed under 16 MPH, and the assistance gradually tails off as you speed up, so at around 10 MPH Eco is around 100 watt, Normal around 175 watt, and Boost full 250 watt.

Both systems work, but are very different, the problem arises when we go out together, as on the flat I can't keep up with her without using level 3, yet I could keep up with her when using non electric bike, the main problem is the gearing, both bikes it is hard to exceed 16 MPH pedalling due to gear ratios, but her bike light pedalling = 15 MPH, so she tends to stick to that speed.

I personally think the throttle is dangerous, after around 2 minutes it goes into cruse option, so to stop it you need to release throttle and twist it again or use brakes, so I only use when walking with the bike in level 1, likely I will remove it once I am sure how to without doing damage, in fact considering returning to non electric, only thing stopping me is my non electric don't fold, so can't carry them in car.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Only those manufacturered prior to 2016 are legal here, exception being a trhottle just for pulling away that cuts out at 3mpg or so.
If only cars cut out at 3 miles per gallon.
Even a Humvee gets slightly more than 3 mpg, I've not wasted any time working out if there is anything less fuel efficient ? although anything doing less than that would pretty soon run out of juice.

Never worked it out, exactly how many gallons our engines use on the 8 mile stretch of line, but too much to do a return trip without refilling so we needed two water treatment plants one each end of the line.

How much a Stanley Steamer used thinking of cars rather than railway engines I don't know but more likely measured in gallons per mile than miles per gallon.

Did we ever have steam motor bikes?

classic33

Leg End Member
Steam powered bicycles, ay...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copeland_steam_bicycle

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TuSLwE4IpnI

Biker man

With a nice cup of tea at top of tha ill
I never fail to learn something on this forum.

Top Bottom