Throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
What happens to anyone who has one of these bikes, who has stuck with the factory supplied setup?
Gaining type approval means they may effectively be riding a moped and be totally unaware of what has happened since they bought theirs.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I also wonder about the lighting regulations as unless the bike is fitted with lighting that complies with the motor vehicle requirements for mopeds which would be different from cycles it might be classified as "daylight use only". Finding an MOT station in 3 years' time that deals with such machines might be a chore too if you don't want to travel long distances.

classic33

Leg End Member
Manufacturer claims that no further MOT is required after the MVSA. Which seems odd given it's a moped.

CXRAndy

Guru
Manufacturer claims that no further MOT is required after the MVSA. Which seems odd given it's a moped.
its a cycle caught up in the wrong category.

Hence updated categories for ebikes, they should be carved out of moped regulations or decategorized all together

classic33

Leg End Member
its a cycle caught up in the wrong category.

Hence updated categories for ebikes, they should be carved out of moped regulations or decategorized all together
The test, if it passes it, gets it legally classified as a moped. That's something that the person who wants to put it through the test, just for the throttle, should think about. The "extras" that come with it, and the cost of those "extras".

Ebikes already exist, their "engine" is battery powered not petrol or diesel fueled. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think a bit of communication from the Govt wouldn't come amiss. We're a cycling forum full of barrack-room lawyers so we have a pretty good idea what the regulations are, what is and isn't a moped, what's legal on the road and what isn't. But Joe Public probably sees a chunky bike with a battery and thinks "ah, an ebike - I can ride that just like any other bike".

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think a bit of communication from the Govt wouldn't come amiss. We're a cycling forum full of barrack-room lawyers so we have a pretty good idea what the regulations are, what is and isn't a moped, what's legal on the road and what isn't. But Joe Public probably sees a chunky bike with a battery and thinks "ah, an ebike - I can ride that just like any other bike".
Has anyone any clarification from Wisper about the requirements? I get the strong impression that these bikes are still classified as Pedalecs, not as mopeds, as they are limited to 15.5mph assistance.

classic33

Leg End Member
At present you can have two bikes from the same manufacturer, almost identical to look at, but one has been put through the MVSA by the manufacturer. This has changed the category/class of vehicle by law, but how is a person to know. Especially if buying second-hand.

Maybe if the manufacturer was a bit more forthcoming, and upfront, with that information it would help. But that wouldn't do them any favours at present.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

No mention of the need to enter the minefield that is moped/ motorcycle training, CBT, as a moped specifically is a road vehicle subject to motor vehicle laws, being excluded from cycle paths and facilities, the need for compulsory insurance, helmet, etc. Where to put the number plate etc etc. All a bit vague and possibly misleading. How does it work?
Wisper is a pedal assist just wants throttle to the legal UK speed limit for ebikes wish I had one when I got the bonk.

classic33

Leg End Member
Has anyone any clarification from Wisper about the requirements? I get the strong impression that these bikes are still classified as Pedalecs, not as mopeds, as they are limited to 15.5mph assistance.
From the manufacturer, earlier in the thread.
And, "if you get a type approval, it essentially registers the vehicle as a motorbike subjecting it to tax, registration and insurance requirements but if you do a single vehicle approval, it allows you to continue as if it were a regular pedelec but makes using a full twist and go throttle (without pedalling) legal?"
And they now have type approval for one specific model. Based on what has been posted. You are buying a moped, not a bicycle.

a.twiddler

Veteran
A goodly number of people are probably using bicycles, and their heavier electric counterparts, as mobility aids already so surely there must be some way of slicing through the confusion of throttle/non throttle e bikes using some criterion from the disability discrimination act to allow throttle use on ebikes which might be officially classified as mobility aids. It would probably involve getting a certificate from your doctor to verify that you have some mobility limitation, another complication. Human nature being what it is, people tend to fight against accepting physical decline and being labelled.

Still, it might provide a way round for riders with particular needs. It wouldn't bother those who think they should be able to zip around at higher speeds regardless of the law but it would give others reassurance that their e bike won't be confiscated and crushed because it unwittingly is classed as a moped, unlicenced, untaxed, maybe uninsured.

classic33

Leg End Member
A goodly number of people are probably using bicycles, and their heavier electric counterparts, as mobility aids already so surely there must be some way of slicing through the confusion of throttle/non throttle e bikes using some criterion from the disability discrimination act to allow throttle use on ebikes which might be officially classified as mobility aids. It would probably involve getting a certificate from your doctor to verify that you have some mobility limitation, another complication. Human nature being what it is, people tend to fight against accepting physical decline and being labelled.

Still, it might provide a way round for riders with particular needs. It wouldn't bother those who think they should be able to zip around at higher speeds regardless of the law but it would give others reassurance that their e bike won't be confiscated and crushed because it unwittingly is classed as a moped, unlicenced, untaxed, maybe uninsured.
The DDA 1995 no longer exists, and it worked both ways to prevent discrimination on either side.

You can get mobility scooters that can go faster than that defined for pavement use. They however show only be used on the roads at higher than walking speed.
Many are also registered, and fully fitted out with lights, including brake lights and indicators.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Ah of course, the Equality Act -but many of the principles apply. Seems a bit counter productive, having to register a mobility scooter. Not directly comparable with e bikes, I would have thought, but sets some kind of precedent, maybe.

David EBiker

Hello all,

David here, founder and CEO of (Mod Edit: company name removed).

I can confirm that a full throttle is allowed on a EAPC as long as the bike conforms to EN15194, which ours and most others do, and have been Type Approved. This has been the case for about a year now, but only recently has it been easily available to us.

As founder and Chairman of The British Electric Bicycle Association at the time eBike laws and regs were being discussed at the DfT, I was invited to join in with the discussions along with The Bicycle Association of GB and the Motor Cycle Traders Association appertaining to EBike law in the UK. We had several meetings, where everything from the bell to the weight of an EAPC and indeed the term Electrically Powered Pedal Cycle (EAPC) was discussed in A LOT of detail and many decisions were made.

Both the MCTA and BAGB were very keen to change the law and get rid of the throttle which at the time the meetings were taking place were legal on EAPCs. Neither wanted to "blur the lines" between pedal bicycles and mopeds so it was decided, against my strenuous argument, that the throttle should be banned. I argued that although it should be legal, the throttle shouldn't be compulsory on an EAPC, so brands could chose whether they wanted to add one or not. I felt then and still feel today that a throttle to 15.5mph makes entry to e-cycling available to many more people so cycling generally becomes more inclusive. Having a throttle also has the advantage of making manoeuvring at low speeds easier and safer.

Originally the MoT wanted to outlaw the twist control all together, however we argued that a walk along mode should be included and the twist grip was a good way of making it available to the rider. Our twist grip doubles up as an assistance modulator so, only when pedaling, by twisting the grip the rider can boost or reduce assistance quickly without changing the assistance level with the usual buttons.

The MoT agreed that the throttle did make cycling more inclusive, but also agreed that there should be a difference between a moped and an EAPC, so as a compromise the decision was made that a simple Type Approval would be made available and once awarded the throttle could be turned back on. This was so the bikes could be checked for roadworthiness and to make sure they conformed to EN15194, once issued with the British National Type Approval Certificate (attached) companies are then allowed to open the throttle to 15.5mph... legally!

Anyone can get this done.

I hope this helps?

All the best, David

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom