Throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Who cares whether its called a moped or ebike. I know the regulations need to be updated
They were updated, in 2016.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
They were updated, in 2016.
Since then, there has been a huge uptake of these bikes. A review of speed, power should be undertaken to help a modal shift away from cars for local journeys upto lets say 10miles.

Eg having a bike with a full capacity throttle will help those who initially are very poor at cycling. Increase in speed to 18 or 20mph would also be attractive to those wanting to commute from further away. There would be no need to take specific clothing if you didn't need to arrive all sweaty.

Europe is for us UK cyclist's the Mecca for riding bikes and is also the massive market for ebikes.

Whether you dont agree on speed uplift is not the point, its my personal preference, so wont debate this point. Riders already exceed 15mph.

a.twiddler

Veteran
No mention of the need to enter the minefield that is moped/ motorcycle training, CBT, as a moped specifically is a road vehicle subject to motor vehicle laws, being excluded from cycle paths and facilities, the need for compulsory insurance, helmet, etc. Where to put the number plate etc etc. All a bit vague and possibly misleading. How does it work?

classic33

Leg End Member
No mention of the need to enter the minefield that is moped/ motorcycle training, CBT, as a moped specifically is a road vehicle subject to motor vehicle laws, being excluded from cycle paths and facilities, the need for compulsory insurance, helmet, etc. Where to put the number plate etc etc. All a bit vague and possibly misleading. How does it work?
Manufacturer puts each bicycle through the MSVA, at a cost to you of £200. £250 if you are sending one of their bikes back to them for this test.

Depending on the outcome of this test, none of the 90 done to date have failed, you will be given instructions on the type of plate, and placement of the plate.

Whilst the manufacturer does say that if it passes the MVSA it becomes a moped. They make no real mention of the requirements, other than VED and insurance. That I think would ruin the idea they are trying to sell. The MVSA also limits the motor size, as well as the top speed.

Top Bottom