Throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having a throttle governed to 15/half miles a hour is not a moped .
It'll be classed as an electric motorcycle if it passes the MVSA, which is the test it will be tested under.

Make your choice carefully. The test has a no return policy on tests that are booked and paid for. I'd a fight to get the money back from a test station that said they could do the relevant test, only to be told they couldn't when I rolled in to the test centre.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

It is according to the law.

figbat

Slippery scientist
What is it then? It isn't a pedal-assist bicycle so can't be used in public as such. It isn't a moped (unless subject to SVA) so, again, can't be used in on public roads. So it is either an ornament or a plaything for use on private land with the land-owner's permission. Or, perhaps more likely, it is a device that will be used illegally regardless of any formal categorisation it falls under.

fossyant

The rules for riding an ebike in the UK and Europe are these: the bike must have a motor with a maximum power of 250Wh, it must be pedal-assist only — a throttle is only allowed for speeds up to a walking pace. The motor must stop assisting when you get over 15.5mph (that’s 25 km/h). You can pedal your bike as fast as you like under your own steam, of course.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

What is it then? It isn't a pedal-assist bicycle so can't be used in public as such. It isn't a moped (unless subject to SVA) so, again, can't be used in on public roads. So it is either an ornament or a plaything for use on private land with the land-owner's permission. Or, perhaps more likely, it is a device that will be used illegally regardless of any formal categorisation it falls under.
Dont shoot the messenger it's what I was told.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't think so time will tell.
They'll send your bike bought from them, at cost to you, for an MSVA. The outcome of that test decides what happens, and whether they're allowed to install a throttle.
They'll only be allowed to install the throttle if it passes the MVSA, which means it will be classed as a motorcycle from then on.

figbat

Slippery scientist
They'll send your bike bought from them, at cost to you, for an MSVA. The outcome of that test decides what happens, and whether they're allowed to install a throttle.
They'll only be allowed to install the throttle if it passes the MVSA, which means it will be classed as a motorcycle from then on.
Meaning not only insurance, VED, MoT and licence requirements but you can only ride on roads and byways and you have to wear a motorcycle helmet.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Meaning not only insurance, VED, MoT and licence requirements but you can only ride on roads and byways and you have to wear a motorcycle helmet.
Wisper make no mention of these requirements. Perhaps it would be best to ask them?

classic33

Leg End Member
Wisper make no mention of these requirements. Perhaps it would be best to ask them?
T'was they who said

"The bike has to be taken to an MoT centre that's qualified to do the work, it is then tested over about 40 minutes to ensure that it is a road legal EPAC or EAPC now in the UK (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle) conforming to EAPC regs. The bike is then Type Approved and awarded a 250W LPM certificate. The bike can then have its twist grip assistance/walk along regulator opened up from 3.7mph to 15.5mph.

Although the bike is then Type Approved there is no need for an annal MOT test."

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/law-change.42796/#post-642626
As well as
And, "if you get a type approval, it essentially registers the vehicle as a motorbike subjecting it to tax, registration and insurance requirements but if you do a single vehicle approval, it allows you to continue as if it were a regular pedelec but makes using a full twist and go throttle (without pedalling) legal?"

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
T'was they who said

As well as
And, "if you get a type approval, it essentially registers the vehicle as a motorbike subjecting it to tax, registration and insurance requirements but if you do a single vehicle approval, it allows you to continue as if it were a regular pedelec but makes using a full twist and go throttle (without pedalling) legal?"

- any idea what the number plates look like?

fossyant

and you have to wear a motorcycle helmet.

Oh good god, that would put me right off. I cringe when I see folk in full face MTB downhill lids for pottering about - why ? You'll boil your bonce.

We had a lad come out with us on a MTB ride, full face and a carbon DH bike. We did warn him not to (bike and lid). He nearly died. :laugh:

Top Bottom