Throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Does having a throttle mean you can more or less dispense with pedalling? Actually given the weight of their bikes I'd need a throttle just to push one around.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Does having a throttle mean you can more or less dispense with pedalling? Actually given the weight of their bikes I'd need a throttle just to push one around.
In theory yes but it would drain the battery very fast .

WIth my old ebike the main problem with the throttle was that it seemed to work on a low torque setting somehow so the acceleration was VERY slow - and the slightest hill defeated it
I was better off slowly turning the pedals enought to fool the system into thinking the motor should start helping
The same pedalling works with our folder witha hub motor when it is at max assist.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you want to, as others have said, battery is depleted very quickly.

They do have a benefit if you're not so fit or have physical condition which prevents sustainable pedalling.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Intesting
WIth my old ebike the main problem with the throttle was that it seemed to work on a low torque setting somehow so the acceleration was VERY slow - and the slightest hill defeated it
I was better off slowly turning the pedals enought to fool the system into thinking the motor should start helping
The same pedalling works with our folder witha hub motor when it is at max assist.

Thats interesting I was talking to a chap,who had fitted one of them illegal motors and a throttle ,he couldn't only do a few miles without it flattering t the battery not worth it.

classic33

Leg End Member
And, "if you get a type approval, it essentially registers the vehicle as a motorbike subjecting it to tax, registration and insurance requirements but if you do a single vehicle approval, it allows you to continue as if it were a regular pedelec but makes using a full twist and go throttle (without pedalling) legal?"

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Doesn't flattery get you everywhere?
If so, isn't it worth it?
😏

classic33

Leg End Member
Basically an electric moped ! MOT, Insurance and VED time !
Electric motorbike under the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval system that is being used by them.
Buy the bike new from them, they'll take care of everything for £200, but cannot guarantee the test result. You can take it to an MOT station that can deal with electric bikes, but where are they?

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Also add in, most cheap electric bikes have pretty poor components. Couldn't imagine one being propelled at 30 mph without pedaling, death machines - like stopping a super tanker.
Wisper said it throttles up to 15 and a half mile.
Also add in, most cheap electric bikes have pretty poor components. Couldn't imagine one being propelled at 30 mph without pedaling, death machines - like stopping a super tanker.
Electric motorbike under the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval system that is being used by them.
Buy the bike new from them, they'll take care of everything for £200, but cannot guarantee the test result. You can take it to an MOT station that can deal with electric bikes, but where are they?
Having a throttle governed to 15/half miles a hour is not a moped .

Top Bottom