Throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

I understand that Wisper ebikes are fitting a throttle to there new ebikes .That will reach 15 and half miles per hour ,hope all makes follow suit.

Unfortunately that makes them illegal to ride on the roads and stuff

I used to have one on my pre2016 ebike - but that was also only 180W - but it was nice to have at time but I rarely used it

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I got a email from saying there new ebikes will be fitted capable of reaching fifteen and a half mph not before time in my opinion.

Can you ask them about the legality??
I have heard they sometimes have a different take on it that others
e.g. I think they are the ones who reckon the cutoff has a 10% leeway - which other don;t say
but my Bosch does seem to cut out a bit higher than 15.5 mph (although if anyone asks I didn;t say that!!!!!)

My old pre 2016 ebike throttle

the main reason i miss it is going up steps on dusty tracks - I used to either use it to either run up the soil on the side of the steps
or sometime generate a slight wheelie of the bike to get up the step while I walked alongside

getting my current ebike up steep steps is a right pain!!

classic33

Leg End Member
"The bike has to be taken to an MoT centre that's qualified to do the work, it is then tested over about 40 minutes to ensure that it is a road legal EPAC or EAPC now in the UK (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle) conforming to EAPC regs. The bike is then Type Approved and awarded a 250W LPM certificate. The bike can then have its twist grip assistance/walk along regulator opened up from 3.7mph to 15.5mph.

Although the bike is then Type Approved there is no need for an annal MOT test."

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/law-change.42796/#post-642626

To change the subject slightly - I would approve of a change to allow a throttle on a legal ebike for people who would otherwise probably use a mobility scooter - like a transition arrangement.
Probably unenforceable and just complicates an already complicated are
so not worth looking at but anyway

Top Bottom