Throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is my question - does it now meet EPAC - or does type approval just mean that it is now allowed on the roads?
i.e. do you need a helmet, insurance etc
and can you use cycle paths

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That is my question - does it now meet EPAC - or does type approval just mean that it is now allowed on the roads?
i.e. do you need a helmet, insurance etc
and can you use cycle paths
I think from reading at @David EBiker 's post and the links provided that EAPC + Type Approval = Throttle allowed and EAPC status maintained. This means no helmet requirement.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think from reading at @David EBiker 's post and the links provided that EAPC + Type Approval = Throttle allowed and EAPC status maintained. This means no helmet requirement.
By the same person, elsewhere
"if you get a type approval, it essentially registers the vehicle as a motorbike subjecting it to tax, registration and insurance requirements but if you do a single vehicle approval, it allows you to continue as if it were a regular pedelec but makes using a full twist and go throttle (without pedalling) legal?"

Mike_P

Guru
Having been brought to a halt by a set of TTLs going up a 1 in 3 this morning and hence resorting to shanks's pony for the rest of the climb I did start to think their is a case for legal ebikes to have a hill start function - self powered from stop to a few km/h when the bike is pointed upwards

Having been brought to a halt by a set of TTLs going up a 1 in 3 this morning and hence resorting to shanks's pony for the rest of the climb I did start to think their is a case for legal ebikes to have a hill start function - self powered from stop to a few km/h when the bike is pointed upwards

I do think my ebike is geared wrongly
7th gear is never used - if I was going that fast then I would not be pedalling - but would be screaming!!!
1st gear is fine on the steepest hill I have tried - but only if I have some power assist - I could do with an extra gear or two for the steepest bits - or to get restarted (happened once on some leaves when the rear wheel lost traction and I couldn't restart)
but then the main gear I use would not be in the middle

AFCB261995

(Formerly Karl Lattimer)
Hi everyone! Keen to add my input as I am sure of what the rules are though they are a bit muddled it hopefully will make some sense

Basically, any e bike that Meets the EPAC rules is classed as an EPAC bike. The road traffic laws, for EPAC bikes and normal pedal bikes are the same, so you can ride an EPAC bike anywhere you can ride a normal pedal bike (cycling lanes, on road, don’t need tax/insurance/mot etc) For an e-bike to be classed as an EPAC, the technical rules are 1. 15.5 mph max assisted speed 2. 250w motor maximum and 3. Must have pedals that are capable of propelling. If it breaks any of the three rules listed then it is regarded as a moped. The use of a throttle is where it gets confusing, but you can have a full twist throttle and it still can count as an Epac! See next paragraph

Where it does get confusing is the 6 km/h throttle rule. Simply putting it, the 6km/h throttle has nothing to do with whether an E-bike is classed as an EPAC or MOPED. The 6 km/h throttle rule only affects whether the EPAC has to be type approved or not. Type approval can apply to EPACs too, it is not specifically for motor vehicles.
If you have an EPAC where the the thumb throttle is limited to 6km/h without pedalling (start assist mode) then the Epac is excluded from type approval, however, if you have an EPAC where the throttle can go faster than 6km/h without pedalling, then the e bike is still classed as an EPAC but has to be type approved as well to be fully road legal
The introduction to EN15194, states “This European Standard has been developed in response to demand throughout Europe. Its aim is to provide a standard for the assessment of electrically powered cycles OF A TYPE WHICH ARE EXCLUDED FROM TYPE APPROVAL BY REGLATION NO168/2013” The Bold writing is the key point. After that sentance, later on in the document, it lays down technical requirements for the thumb throttle, limiting it to 6km/h when used alone, and is known as start assist mode. So what en 15194 says with regard to the throttle, is that a 6km/h one excludes the EPAC from being type approved , not that the 6km/h throttle is an EPAC law.

For clarity The only rules that affect whether an e bike is an EPAC or moped are the ones listed in my first paragraph paragraph (point 1 - 3) If any of these rules are broken then the e bike is a moped.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For clarity The only rules that affect whether an e bike is an EPAC or moped are the ones listed in my first paragraph paragraph (point 1 - 3) If any of these rules are broken then the e bike is a moped.
And so ... if I've understood correctly ... if a bike has a twist-and-go throttle that goes > 6kmh it might still be an EPAC - if the type has gone through type approval 168/2013 as an EPAC.

But on the other hand, if it has a >6kmh throttle and has not gone through type approval as an EPAC, then it's not an EPAC. It may be a moped or an un-approved vehicle of some sort.

Izzat right?

Last edited:
Pre 2016 throttle comes to mind
Yes - but that comes with other regs as well - max power at 200W ratehr than 250 for example

However, it does seem that you can have a throttle on a post 2016 ebike and still be an EPAC - but you need to go through the type approval

There is a company on the UK that have pre-done this for one model (I think)

ANyone done it - and know how difficult it is and how much it costs
and if you can use any DVLA station or if only a few have the ability/knowledge??

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yes - but that comes with other regs as well - max power at 200W ratehr than 250 for example

However, it does seem that you can have a throttle on a post 2016 ebike and still be an EPAC - but you need to go through the type approval

and if you can use any DVLA station or if only a few have the ability/knowledge??

BS sorry, utter BS mine is rated at 250 w and is legal

classic33

Leg End Member

Tried to go through the test, mentioned earlier, but the nearest test station capable of handling it was over Salford.

The relevant test stations are few and far between.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought on January 1st 2016 the max legal power went from 200W to 250W ? didn't they also add 0.5 MPH to the max assisted speed as well?

You are correct. https://assets.publishing.service.g...nt_data/file/369752/consultation-document.pdf

The current [1983] requirements are:
  • The continuous rated power of the motor must not exceed 200 watts for standard bicycles and 250 watts for tandems and tricycles.
  • The electrical assistance must cut-off when the vehicle reaches 15 mph.
  • The unladen weight must not exceed 40kg for standard bicycles and 60kg for tandems and tricycles.

The draft amending regulations that are the subject of this consultation would make the following changes:
  • The maximum motor power for standard bicycles is increased to 250 watts.
  • The electric assistance cut-off speed is amended to 15.5 mph.
  • All the weight limits are removed.
  • Vehicles with more than 3 wheels are permitted.

It's my last day before I start work again. I've taken the decorations down. Tidied the front garden. Put my work phone and laptop on charge. Now I'm reduced aimlessly googling e-bike legislation that I'm not much interested in. :laugh:

Top Bottom