Thule 943

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I recently got my hands on a Thule tow bar carrier.

Does anyone know what additional lock is required for the frame clamps?

As I have seen some people say you need to lock the frame that holds the three frame clamps to to the base unit as well, which actually makes sense.

I have seen a Thule 527 and 526 but I have utterly no idea, I asked Halfords but the guy went cross eyed and didn’t say much else.

Also asked Thule but no response.

robgul

Legendary Member
If I'm understanding the question - you can replace the knobs that tighten the tube clamps with lockable knobs (you can usually see them on ebay in set of 4 with a common key) - as for locking the whole thing onto the towbar it may have a lockable knob already? - or the lockable clamp knobs fit (hence a set of 4) - at least that's how mine works (my rack is a Thule but has the rather easier to manage flat channels for the bikes to stand in)

One other tip: having had 3 Thule towbar racks I've always found that the arms for the clamps have been a tad short - simple to replace with lengths of M8 studding from B&Q + and aero locknut at the static end - knobs just fit on the bike end.

Rob

Nebulous

Guru
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you properly. We don't have one, we have a cheaper thule tow-bar mounted one for four bikes and I fasten them on with a cable lock if using it. Most of the time with two bikes I use a thule roof-mounted one and although it locks, I again put a cable lock through the frames and round the roof rack if stopped for meals or overnight.

The tightening knobs that clamp the bike can be replaced with these, on the one you have, meaning the clamps can be locked to the bike. Are you thinking there should also be something to lock the clamp arm to the frame?

Security on bike carriers is always very modest in my view. As with a lot of bicycle locks they wont deter a determined person who knows what they are doing.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
D6C20CB1-8EAA-4BB3-8010-E5FC5306A223.png
Hi thanks I will order the locks you guys linked.

The other place I was thinking and have seen locks is on the silver bar that the frame clamps are attached to.

If you look at the very bottom where that silver bar joins the sub frame, you have two of the screw knobs, now if I clamp the bike to frame in theory you just unlock those two knobs and carry the bikes and frame off.

Very awkward but possible haha

Nebulous

Guru
View attachment 468999 Hi thanks I will order the locks you guys linked.

The other place I was thinking and have seen locks is on the silver bar that the frame clamps are attached to.

If you look at the very bottom where that silver bar joins the sub frame, you have two of the screw knobs, now if I clamp the bike to frame in theory you just unlock those two knobs and carry the bikes and frame off.

I see what you mean - but as Robgul said, why do they come in a pack of 4? Would the 4th one fit on one of these lower knobs?

Slick

Guru
View attachment 468999 Hi thanks I will order the locks you guys linked.

Have you tried actually trying to lift your bikes off when locked like you describe?

I use the same rack, but I'm not sure you could remove the bikes or else what would be the point?

D

Deleted member 26715

I only have the cheapo 2 bike version, but I just use a long combination lock, thread it through all the bikes & the frame of the carrier, if they want anything they have to take the whole lot.

Top Bottom