Thule towball mounted two-bike rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
Towbar mounted rack with lockable arms and locking clamp on the towball. The bikes stand on adjustable channels and are held securely by integral straps through the wheels and by sturdy arms with clamps oround the top or seatubes.

The arms have key-operated locks (same key) for security and the whole unit is locked to the towball. The rack has its own number plate board built in together with lights etc to make it legal, connected with a standard 7 pin towing plug.

Note: To improve the rack's design and make the carriage of larger framed bikes easier I have made some modifcations to the original:

1 The pairs of channels slide to length for the bike wheelbase - the original had plastic screw/knobs which were awkward to use - I have fitted over-centre quick-release fittings (they are QR seat pin clamps)

2 The arms that clamp the frame tubes were on the short side for bigger bikes - I have replaced them with longer rods/tubes, using the original lockable knobs (I have the original arms)

The rack works perfectly and has probably done in excess of 20,000 miles on the back of my current estate car and before that a Discovery - it's not in the first-flush of youth but works (I think it's better than some of the later Thule models)

I'm only selling it because I have upgraded to a 3-bike Thule rack of similar style.

Looking for £50 collected from Stratford-upon-Avon.

I do not have any pix at the moment but an identical rack (in unmodified state) has just sold on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thule-Tow...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 )

Rob

Top Bottom