Thumbs down for Abus Granit X 54 plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
Has anybody had any bad experience with the Abus Granit X 54 plus. I bought one recently and when it arrived I was well chuffed with it. It looks the part and is solid as a rock. Also the design of the bracket that holds it on the bike was really good. Right then, thats my security worries over....or so I thought.

The first time I used it was in a town centre about ten miles from home. When I came back to the bike I couldn't get it to unlock from the bike stand. After struggling for a while I phoned my wife who came by car with the spare key. Still no luck. By now I had been at it for over an hour and was starting to get desperate as group of young lads were taking an interest. The thought of leaving my bike in the town centre overnight wasn't too appealing. Now the very reasons I bought this lock were starting to work against us. This is the lock that can't be picked. It laughs in the face of boltcroppers. The only way to get it off was to call a local garage to come and anglegrind it off. But by now it was 6.30 pm and they were shut. What a nightmare. I was pulling my hair out. I couldnt believe that in 40 years of using billy basic locks I had never had a problem. Pay seventy quid for a gold standard one and this happens!

I had reached the point where I was thinking of stripping the frame of everything I could take when I gave it another go.....It worked Phew ! I did exactly what I had been doing for the last hour, but this time it worked. Now it wouldn't relock to stow it on the frame for the journey home.

Abus have a well deserved reputation for turning out good gear, but I think they have a problem with this model. I have since noticed that Evans customer reviews shows somebody else have the same thing happen to them.

This is compared to dozens of rave customer reviews.

So, am I one of the two unluckiest cyclists around, or has anybody else gone through this ? Its a pity as I loved the design of the lock and bracket, but I think all in all, I got off very lightly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blast some WD40 or GT85 (better) into it................. might be dry, and don't ever...ever....ever....FORCE......the key to turn.................

I have a Fagh and it's a pain to get to fit stands..i.e. the bike has to be on one side and etc. etc............ BUT it's a beastie... downside...do not EVER force the key - they will snap...............

Crankarm

Guru
Has anybody had any bad experience with the Abus Granit X 54 plus. I bought one recently and when it arrived I was well chuffed with it. It looks the part and is solid as a rock. Also the design of the bracket that holds it on the bike was really good. Right then, thats my security worries over....or so I thought.

The first time I used it was in a town centre about ten miles from home. When I came back to the bike I couldn't get it to unlock from the bike stand. After struggling for a while I phoned my wife who came by car with the spare key. Still no luck. By now I had been at it for over an hour and was starting to get desperate as group of young lads were taking an interest. The thought of leaving my bike in the town centre overnight wasn't too appealing. Now the very reasons I bought this lock were starting to work against us. This is the lock that can't be picked. It laughs in the face of boltcroppers. The only way to get it off was to call a local garage to come and anglegrind it off. But by now it was 6.30 pm and they were shut. What a nightmare. I was pulling my hair out. I couldnt believe that in 40 years of using billy basic locks I had never had a problem. Pay seventy quid for a gold standard one and this happens!

I had reached the point where I was thinking of stripping the frame of everything I could take when I gave it another go.....It worked Phew ! I did exactly what I had been doing for the last hour, but this time it worked. Now it wouldn't relock to stow it on the frame for the journey home.

Abus have a well deserved reputation for turning out good gear, but I think they have a problem with this model. I have since noticed that Evans customer reviews shows somebody else have the same thing happen to them.

This is compared to dozens of rave customer reviews.

So, am I one of the two unluckiest cyclists around, or has anybody else gone through this ? Its a pity as I loved the design of the lock and bracket, but I think all in all, I got off very lightly.

I would return it to where ever you purchased it from, re-count your story just as you have here and ask for a replacement. Your one sounds as if it as faulty. They are excellent reliable locks IME. They are currently best on the market. But as previously stated don't ever force a key in a lock it will only break and then you really are buggered.

Only other thing to consider is whether your lock had been tampered with by thieves hoping you would give up leaving your bike only for them to return later at their leisure help themselves to it or strip it? If there is no indication of this then I would get a replacement. Park your bike elsewhere in future as well.

I would return it to where ever you purchased it from, re-count your story just as you have here and ask for a replacement. Your one sounds as if it as faulty. They are excellent reliable locks IME. They are currently best on the market. But as previously stated don't ever force a key in a lock it will only break and then you really are buggered.

Only other thing to consider is whether your lock had been tampered with by thieves hoping you would give up leaving your bike only for them to return later at their leisure help themselves to it or strip it? If there is no indication of this then I would get a replacement. Park your bike elsewhere in future as well.

Contact the Police - it may not be a lock problem!

There is a trick that thieves use in areas frequented by commuters and shoppers.... you may have foiled an attemped thef

1. Superglue lock
2. Owner comes back and cannot open
3. Owner cannot open lock so goes home to get tools.

Now if in your case this is only a few minutes, then they fail, but the plan is you have to go home leaving the bike overnight giving the time and opportunity to work on the lock and nick the bike.Of course the big advantage is that if someone does question their actions they have evidence that someone has damaged their lock and they are simply trying to get home!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Abus have a well deserved reputation for turning out good gear, but I think they have a problem with this model.
Definitely not any general issue with that model - I've had one for ages and recommended it to countless people.

So, am I one of the two unluckiest cyclists around
I think Cunobelin has solved it: this is unfortunately turning into a common ploy by thieves, for motorcycles as well as bicycles.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Definitely not any general issue with that model - I've had one for ages and recommended it to countless people.

I think Cunobelin has solved it: this is unfortunately turning into a common ploy by thieves, for motorcycles as well as bicycles.

+1 on both counts. I've had the exact same model for nearly three years, not given me any problems whatsoever. Dropped it once and the mechanism came out from the plastic shell- it not only went straight back in, it stayed in, and the lock's continued to be utterly fine. Sounds like the superglue ploy to me- if it actually was faulty, it would definitely be the exception not the rule.

OP
OP
Ste T.

Ste T.

Guru
Right, you've all convinced me. Having looked around I still think, for the money, it's the best out there so I'll mark it down to bad luck and give it another go. When I returned it, Wiggle were great, so I shall go back to them. Cheers.

Top Bottom