Planet X - recommended.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Doing a bit of MTBing recently, so thought a new helmet might help me at least look the part. I have a Carnac road helmet bought from Planet X a year or so ago, and I’ve been very happy with it, so had a look at what they could offer.

Yep, decent looking Carnac MTB helmets at £10. Yes, really, £10.

I‘m aware that Planet X have had financial problems recently and ownership has changed hands (I think), so a bit concerned, but it’s only £10, worth a punt, so helmet ordered.

It arrived two days later, looks good, comfy, good fit. Then I noticed a broken clip on the ‘y’ section of the strap. Bugger. Emailed Px, could they supply a clip, or could I send it back if not.

”We’ll send a new clip out today”. It arrived the next day. Excellent. Took me three minutes to fit, all good.

So, if you have any doubts about their reliability and customer service, rest assured, it’s good.

Good afternoon,

I needed a new Shimano crank pre-tensioner, a posh word for a bit of plastic and a hollow tech BB spanner, square taper rules.^_^

There is no-one local interested in this sort of thing so I thought that I would take advantage of a Planet X tool kit deal https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/jobsworth-bike-tool-kit-48-piece and ordered a tool kit at a loss leader price.

Basically it was free if you ignore the cost of the things that I actually wanted.

IMG_1972[1].JPG
It arrived within 2/3 days and is as good as I would have expected for the non discounted price.

It appears to me that they have saved some money with quality dropping as tools become ones that you are likely to already have, such as the screwdrivers. The chainset bolt tool is strong enough to allow me to get the rings off a chainset that I was contemplating getting a drill to. ^_^

So yes, they are still alive and in business and delivering at least my order.

Come on Planet X prove you are alive and well and discount the Mile Munchers, I need some more and am used to them always being On Sale At Half Price, I don't want to have to pay full price, in fact I didn't even realise that were ever sold at full price!:laugh:

Joking apart this may have been their problem, selling too much stuff too cheaply, having said that I recently considered a Kaffenback (cafe and back, in other words nothing special) but they are up to £1,199.99 for an unbranded CroMo frame https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/planet-x-kaffenback-sram-apex-1-bike. So is this is priced to be discounted as to me it is a £800ish bike from a local shop so less from a mail order supplier?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
A while ago - so before they were taken over or whatever - I got some cheap lights from them in a sale - LED rechargeable ones

Only a few quid each

One of the lights charged ON and a red light went to green when it was charged
Put the second one on charge and it seemed fine - but the light went from red to amber - not green.
I thought this light be a fault indicator so I rang them
Nice person on the phone went through it with me and said they would just send a new one - don;t bother returning the old one as it is not worth it
New one did the same so I assume it is just a "feature" of the rear light as opposed to the front light

but good service and friendly staff - and you could get through to them!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I've had loads of PX/on one stuff over the years. At least four bikes- the last one, an ALS frameset, was to replace the 800 quid Kinesis job that cracked 4 month later. £250. It arrived and was the same frameset as the Kinesis but with reinforcement where the previous one had cracked. The PX is still going strong 6 years later. Bargain.

PX are ace.

Top Bottom