Planet x

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow that is a bargain, might get a pair for the 🦄 as she has worn rims
Do the stickers come off, a bit blingy...don't want to clash with the gold bar tape :laugh:

Just to note £9.99 delivery for wheels

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm good point especially as existing wheels have Hope hubs. Not sure if the Fulcrums are well spokes either. I'd never pay £300 for factory wheels myself

Jameshow

Veteran
Hmm good point especially as existing wheels have Hope hubs. Not sure if the Fulcrums are well spokes either. I'd never pay £300 for factory wheels myself

Well spokes?

They are sealed bearings so possibly harder to replace than loose balls? But not necessarily so.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The stickers do come off, but the glue can be a bugger.
I would allow for replacement bearings within the year if you ride a reasonable mileage and in the wet as the standard bearings are only sealed on one side. Other than that a good wheelset and at that price point evfm.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well spokes?

They are sealed bearings so possibly harder to replace than loose balls? But not necessarily so.

Sealed cartridges are a doddle to replace. Damaged loose balls usually mean a pitted cone or hub race so hub is usually toast, not so with sealed bearings. They don't last as long but are relatively cheap to replace. Bargain them wheels though.

T4tomo

Guru

You might be better off getting new rims laced onto the hope hubs as they are good quality. If the spokes are fine to reuse then its probably only £120-ish(might be touch more in Surrey than Herts:laugh:).
Add another £50ish in the unlikely event you need a full set of new spokes. But then you've got yourself a light & strong £400+ wheel set, and one that is repairable if you ping a spoke or two without an almighty search for compatible spokes that are no longer sold an/or impossible to retro fit without a factory tool.
Seems daft to ditch what is probably £200 worth of Hope hubs.

The fulcrums will be 24/20 spoke count. The racing 5s I have are 7 years old and still going strong swapped onto my OH's bike, had one set of sealed bearings replaced. but the 5s came with a fully sealed, i think those 900's are based on the racing 7s which came with the cheaper part sealed bearing set as @Hacienda71 alludes.

vickster

Legendary Member
You might be better off getting new rims laced onto the hope hubs as they are good quality. If the spokes are fine to reuse then its probably only £120-ish(might be touch more in Surrey than Herts:laugh:).
Add another £50ish in the unlikely event you need a full set of new spokes. But then you've got yourself a light & strong £400+ wheel set, and one that is repairable if you ping a spoke or two without an almighty search for compatible spokes that are no longer sold an/or impossible to retro fit without a factory tool.
Seems daft to ditch what is probably £200 worth of Hope hubs.

The fulcrums will be 24/20 spoke count. The racing 5s I have are 7 years old and still going strong swapped onto my OH's bike, had one set of sealed bearings replaced. but the 5s came with a fully sealed, i think those 900's are based on the racing 7s which came with the cheaper part sealed bearing set as @Hacienda71 alludes.

That’s a useless number of spokes for me!
Will cost me more for rebuild as it’s £50 a wheel to rebuild at LBS plus decent rims (I like open pros but like hens teeth in silver)

T4tomo

Guru
That’s a useless number of spokes for me!
Will cost me more for rebuild as it’s £50 a wheel to rebuild at LBS plus decent rims (I like open pros but like hens teeth in silver)

yeah my chap charged £40 a wheel and my rims were £20 each, kinlin I think. it was rebuilding a vintage wheel onto some old maillard hubs hubs so period appropriate looking basic rims was all that was needed.

Its still worth it to with the hope hubs @£50 a wheel.

vickster

Legendary Member
yeah my chap charged £40 a wheel and my rims were £20 each, kinlin I think. it was rebuilding a vintage wheel onto some old maillard hubs hubs so period appropriate looking basic rims was all that was needed.

Its still worth it to with the hope hubs @£50 a wheel.

I've found black open pros for £40, just need to work out how many spoke holes I have :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably 32. Worth keeping the hope hubs and getting a rebuild

I'm hoping they can see me through for a while, but I may get the rim before they become totally unavailable (not like they'll go off in the shed if well wrapped :laugh:)

Top Bottom