Thumbs up for Lothian Buses drivers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Slept in this morning, so ended up getting the bus to work. Was reading a book and happened to look up as the bus slowed going up Leith Street to let a cyclist change lane in front of us. Thought it was strange as we then kept pace with the cyclist alongside the driver's cabin, and when we stopped at the bus stop a little further on the cyclist pulled in and came round to the door. I pulled my earphones out to hear what was being said, expecting the driver to be having words with the cyclist. How wrong I was - the driver had earlier witnessed a car trying repeatedly to ram the cyclist of the road, so'd shouted out the window to the cyclist offering to be a witness.

The cyclist had stopped to get details from the driver.

Thumbs up to the driver for his helpfulness!

(Was the guy riding a single-speed, belt-driven Trek commuter someone on here?)

I do like Lothian Bus drivers, they seem much more aware of people :angry:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A bit nitpicky.......but this was one bus driver. Your subject field is misleading.

Having said that, I get on with all drivers, but have a higher regard for truck & bus drivers.

I think the additional tests that they take counts for something.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Moodyman said:
A bit nitpicky.......but this was one bus driver. Your subject field is misleading.

Having said that, I get on with all drivers, but have a higher regard for truck & bus drivers.

I think the additional tests that they take counts for something.

I left it as 'drivers' because I've posted before about how professional they are around cyclists; it was a typo as I was writing the heading but after a moment's though it stayed.

Kirst

Lothian Buses have done a lot of training with their drivers about how to behave around cyclists, and they've done a lot to encourage their drivers to cycle to work. My experience is that on the whole, with a few notable exceptions, their drivers are excellent with regards to cyclists. First Bus, on the other hand, seem to want me dead.

bauldbairn

Kirst said:
Lothian Buses have done a lot of training with their drivers about how to behave around cyclists, and they've done a lot to encourage their drivers to cycle to work. My experience is that on the whole, with a few notable exceptions, their drivers are excellent with regards to cyclists. First Bus, on the other hand, seem to want me dead.

First Bus also spend a lot of time teaching their "NEW" drivers how to behave around cyclists - but once they pass their test it's up to the individual driver how they use that training. If you have a problem with "First" drivers report it to their training academy in Deans(Livingston).
For any incidents that involve buses - the 5 digit number on the rear of the bus(or registration) should be noted along with the time and location to ID the driver. Most buses also have CCTV fitted to record any such events.

HLaB said:
This pains me to say this but I have found First Edinburgh are improving of late, its the small operators in East Lothian that really irk me.

My mates husband is one of five instructors who trains all new drivers for First East/Edinburgh and is himself a cyclist.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I thanked a London 436 bus recently, the driver was awesome, and he was beaming from ear to ear after I signed him driving, pointed to him, thumbs up, circle OK, and I'm not worthy.

Top Bottom