Thumbs Up Initiative??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Just reading Bollo's experience of London cyclists and it's interesting to read the tribal comments re motorists and cyclists.

So what about a Thumbs Up initiative. Whenever i'm cycling, even if I have the right of way or am in the primary position, once i move over I just give a little thumbs up.

Overtaking buses just before they are going to pull away, again, I have right of way, but just give a little thumbs up as I go past.

For me personally, I have noticed a difference of the proximity of an overtaking car, or vechicle giving me more room after a thumbs up. I think the motorist, see's you as another road user, rather than the 'menace cyclist'

When I drive my car, I appreciate (expect) to be acknowledged if allowing a car to pass. If we all do the same with a quick thumbs up, maybe the image of the cyclist can slowly be changed. It only takes a second and certainly hasn't done me any harm.

So how about it, a 'Thumbs Up for Cyclists Campaign' initiative:wacko:

Yep. I give the thumbs up quite often. Only today I can think of three 'thumbs up' I gave to other road users, just for hanging back and giving me room.

Of course we shouldn't have to, all road users deserve respect, whether or not they give a thank-you. However, it doesn't do any harm and does spread good will.

Maz

Guru
Bugner said:
For me personally, I have noticed a difference of the proximity of an overtaking car, or vechicle giving me more room after a thumbs up. I think the motorist, see's you as another road user, rather than the 'menace cyclist'
That's a good point.

I always get into the habit of giving a thumbs-up to the car behind me, when, for example, I move outwards from secondary to primary position.

grhm

Veteran
I'd agree. I regularly give a quick thumbs up to drivers when they give me some space (and nearly always at the same three points on my commute).

I've found that occasionally, after thanking a driver for not overtaking on a blind uphill bend (when I'll not going a quick as they'd like), they will hang back longer than required and effectively shield me from the cars behind them through the next pinch point caused by a line of parked cars.

I quite often get a wave or thumbs up in return. Always cheers me up.

PrettyboyTim

When I'm doing a maneuver which involves moving in front of another vehicle or requires them to show a little consideration, I flick my hand around from its indicating position to a thumbs up just before I do it. I hope this has the effect of communicating to the person behind that I have taken the fact that they haven't zoomed past as a signal that they are going to allow my maneuver and that I am about to commit to it. It also serves as a kind of 'thank you'.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1 (tho' like hackbike I don't actually thumb it - more of a, now I look at it to try to decribe it, priestly benediction kind of motion. But definitely a recognisable 'thanks' to anyone who shows consideration.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
+1

I do this all the time when someone has held back for me, or overtaken with plenty of space. I'd say it definitely encourages them to do the same for other cyclists in future.

Ben

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
+ 1

I also give a friendly wave or a thumbs up. It's nice when you get a cheery wave or a flash of the hazards in return.

+1 from me too!!!

I've been doing this lots, as my average speed is about 15mph....I'm always getting in the way!:sad:

I find it's definately calming to those following, and I agree that it's not a requirement, just extreme courtesy.......It's about the ONLY extreme thing you'll EVER see me do!!:becool:

Perhaps there should be a 'Thumbs up' club!!!:wacko:

petec

Always give the thumbs up to anyone who lets me through (secondry to primary ect), but its a rare occurence to get one back...

Top Bottom