Tick bites = Bad news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

punkypossum said:
I caught lyme disease after my one and only tick bite ever (and it was in the UK) this summer,

what were your symptoms / did the Dr diagnose Lyme straight away ?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
BigonaBianchi said:
I know someone in America who suffers badly from Lymes following tick bites...just imagine all those parasite things eating away at you inside...yuck..

There's no parasites. It's a bacterial infection.

peanut said:
what were your symptoms / did the Dr diagnose Lyme straight away ?

No he didn't - but I saw a rather strange guy that wasn't my normal doctor...he had to google it first, and then I had to go home to google the right antibiotics and the required dosage, then ring back and tell him, so he could write me a prescription - it was a bit of a farce...;)

I only knew what it was because my dad had been infected a few times in Germany and I have a friend who was helping with a study on homeopathic remedies in the treatment of lyme disease. I came up with the characteristic bull's eye rash 3 weeks after being bitten, was absolutely textbook, no mistaking it. Fortunately, because it got caught early, the antibiotics should have got it out of my system before any long term problems developed - hadn't even started feeling ill yet. It was quite amazing tho, within 48 hours of taking the pills, the rash literally shrank while watching it. Never seen anything shrink visibly like that. The last bits took months to disappear tho, still have a little red mark there now...

And yes, I have considered frontlining myself!!!! ;-)

MajorMantra

Before I started taking precautions (trousers tucked into socks, deet) I picked up many ticks in my garden in at home in Luxembourg just by brushing through long grass.

After one bite (one of about 20-30 in the space of a month or two) I noticed that there was a growing ring of spots around where the tick had attached itself which is a sign that one has been infected with Lyme's disease. I took the course of antibiotics and that was the end of it but I consider myself very lucky because not everyone who catches the disease displays the warning signs and had the spots not appeared I could have got very sick.

Matthew

EDIT: Beaten to a description of the bullseye rash by punky possum. I was almost pleased to have a textbook medical phenomenon taking place on my leg. :smile:

Top Bottom