Tick bites = Bad news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
byegad said:
IIRC ticks are a problem, in the UK, in areas with Red Deer populations. I use Deet if I'm touring in these areas of GB also if I'm not sure about an area I use it. At home, County Durham, we don't have them so I don't use Deet unless it's the harvest bug season. Thes are little black flies and they swarm in their millions at that time of the year. Not a health threat but they make you itch!

The only time I have had a tick problem was in Richmond Park which obviously has a deer population. I wouldn't have thought there was any danger to cyclists there though unless they off-road. I have to confess I was rolling around in the grass with someone at the time. ;)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Should have added I was only attempting to brush it off until I realized it was a tick -yep, used tweezers. I'll also add it can't hurt to put some antiseptic/alcohol on the area afterwards too.

samid said:
To remove a tick, put some oil on it and wait a minute or so, then remove with tweezers. If you just pull it out without oiling it :rolleyes: first, parts of it can remain inside the skin. As far as I understand, oil prevents them from breathing and then they release their hold to get some air and can be removed more easily. Not sure about the details but it works.

I caught lyme disease after my one and only tick bite ever (and it was in the UK) this summer, apparently it is very much on the rise in this country and there were government health warnings all over the web at the time.

However, never heard of an animal or human catching malaria in Germany!!!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
My dog travels between the uK and Germany about 4 or 5 times every year. He has all the jabs and passport etc and is seen by a Vet in Germany.
This dog was in the black forest and dog owners there take ticks very seriously. Often ticks are on the overhanging branches and end up in human hair as it brushes the branches.
However I would not be put off , take the dog and have fun...just be sure to frontline and all the necessary...also check for ticks after every walk, especially if its been in the long grass. The easiest way to check is to stroke the dog all over...a tick will feel like a small hard bump. Also brush the dog with a tick comb.
If you do find one on the dog, there are likely to be others. Places to look carefully are between the paws/toes/pads...in the ears and in any folds of skin. If you do find one dont delay..remove it .

yello

We go over the dogs for ticks regularly during whatever time of year it is that ticks are prevalent. I'd say we get a 3 or 4 ticks a week off each dog (we walk them through fields and woods, so it's not surprising). You can buy tick removers here in France. They're like crochet hooks (my wife tells me!). You just place the hook under the tick and twist it out, no need for oils or anything. Before having the tool, we used tweezers and surgical spirit.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
When we took our Weimaraner to Berlin for 5 weeks last year we arrived just at the time when the Berliner Morgenpost newspaper had a screaming headline warning about "Zecke" (ticks). In due course Lucy got a couple and we had a chance to check out the local vets (and prepare for the Pet Passport return complications) early. The vet removed the tick with the tweezery-spinny thing and then gave us some equivalent of Frontline, which she also had just before our return. She had to go back another time to get a big one on her neck removed. Considering the fact that the vet was impossibly dishy it was no hardship at all to visit there when ticks appeared!

vernon said:
Still no mention of malaria.

A quick google unearthed; tick-borne encepahlitis and tick-borne malaria-like recurring fever but no tick-borne malaria.

Is there any mosquito-borne malaria in Gemany?

Not according to the travel websites that tell you if you need to take antimalarials or not...

Blott's Mate

Unlikely to be Malaria as that's a human disease. Could be Babesiosis. Frontline doesn't stop ticks attaching. Bayer's product called " Advantix" in the UK allegedly stops ticks attaching.

punkypossum said:
Why does it say against ticks on my frontline packaging then? Or does it not stop them from biting, but makes them fall off quicker?

They bite and die.

Are you putting it on the back of your neck after your Lyme's disease incident :eek:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I used to work with a guy who was a bit of an expert on ticks; he'd done his PhD on them.

One day we were working in a woodland in East Anglia. We had to wait for a while, and while we chatted, he poked about with a stick in the leaf litter, idly looking for creepy-crawlies.

In five minutes he produced about sixty ticks from a square yard or so of leaf litter.

My brother-in-law used to live in Richard's Bay in South Africa. Walking through the bush there, I noticed that the grass stems were all encrusted with little black seeds. On closer inspection they were millions of ticks, ready and waiting to hitch a ride. We checked ourselves over quite carefully at the end of that day!

I suspect that if you spend much time among undergrowth, you probably get small ticks attach and bite quite often, but never know it. They like to crawl underneath your sleeves, trouser legs and what have you. The creases of the groin are a favoured spot for latching on. The really tiny ones only attach for a few minutes and then drop off again, so you might not know they'd ever been there.

The big fat ones are gross, though, aren't they?

Top Bottom