Tick Removal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Whilst there are many 'devices' on the market claiming to be very efficient at removing ticks, we're familiar with the lighted fag one; for those of us who happen to be smoking when a tick needs removing - !
But came across this advice today; a drop of washing up liquid to douse the tick. Apparently it lets go pretty sharpish - ! ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can we have an action video please?

tyred

Legendary Member
Whilst there are many 'devices' on the market claiming to be very efficient at removing ticks, we're familiar with the lighted fag one; for those of us who happen to be smoking when a tick needs removing - !
But came across this advice today; a drop of washing up liquid to douse the tick. Apparently it lets go pretty sharpish - ! ^_^

From what I understand, the problem with the lighted fag advice is that it shocks the tick into being sick and more likely to infect you. I would be concerned washing up liquid may have a similar effect.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I have these for the cats.
O_Tom_Tick_Twister.jpg

A few rotations and the tick comes off easily.
Used once on my daughter too!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use very fine nose tweezers. The trouble sometimes is that the tick is somewhere which is difficult to reach. Try using a mirror with one hand and tweezers with the other while keeping a light shining on the tick area.:eek:
So far I have always managed but also reflect that wives do have their non obvious uses especially when I no longer have one.
After removal I put on a dab of tea tree oil which is kept alongside the tweezers.
House, trikes and car all have their own set of tools always handy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Probably worth mentioning Lyme disease, sometimes spread by ticks. It's a bacterial infection with various possible health complications - heart issues for a girl in my daughter's class back in primary school; she has a pacemaker now.

It is worth more than just a mention and I would say it should be emphasised more than it is already.
There is a new to us variation which is apparently leaking in from continental europe which is worse than the version which is common here.
I think saying “ possible health complications” is an understatement.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have these for the cats.
View attachment 708352
A few rotations and the tick comes off easily.
Used once on my daughter too!

+ recommended. My creature is a veritable tick farmer so I'm a dab hand at whipping them off with one of these. I did find a tick on me a couple of months ago on my back, so had to get Mrs Dr B to twizzle it off. I'm a double-hard barsted obv, but it really hurt! I've kept an eye on the site since and there's no sign of Lyme or similar, so hoping 🤞.
Probably worth mentioning Lyme disease, sometimes spread by ticks. It's a bacterial infection with various possible health complications - heart issues for a girl in my daughter's class back in primary school; she has a pacemaker now.

Oh yes. The New Forest is particularly bad for ticks. There are usually signs out in the summer warning of the risk and recommending covered legs. I don't cycle that way too often these days (driving standards are not generally high) and I'm only on-road, but I still have a quick check-over if I've pulled in for a sit and a think.

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/KBPH/pet-advice/parasites/map-of-tick-risk

figbat

Slippery scientist
We were made aware of them on a caravan holiday in North Somerset - there were signs up around the campsite and they sold the tick removers in their shop. Sure enough within hours of arriving we were picking ticks off of each other and the dog. We set up a regular tick watch so often caught them before they’d even latched on, or not long after. They are harder to find and remove when freshly secured as they are tiny.

presta

Guru
I don't think I've ever seen a tick, although I might not have recognised it if I had.

The trouble sometimes is that the tick is somewhere which is difficult to reach. Try using a mirror with one hand and tweezers with the other while keeping a light shining on the tick area.
On Celebrity SAS last night they were checking each other's ears for leeches. They didn't mention other places.

Top Bottom