Tick tick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Today on a smooth bit of road with no wind got a ticking noise which eventually traced to the front wheel. Bearings sounded smooth and removed some grass from under the mudguard but still the noise. Checked the spokes and a couple seemed not as tight as the rest. Abandoned ride and returned home where got bike up on a stand and tightened all the spokes a very little and adjusted till all gave the same tone when struck with a spanner. Decided might as well do front wheel bearings. Just as well since there was no discernible grease even tho' not noisy.This is a first check from new just over a year ago.
On a test run the noise seems to have vanished. Question is this likely to have been a loose spoke as the noise coincided with the wheel rotation? I have fiddled about with bikes for years but never met this before. This is my first small wheel bike tho' so are small wheels more sensitive to maladjustment?

Brommyboy

Über Member
I think the noise likely came from the dry bearings. The spokes can make this but that is more usually on the rear wheel.

Top Bottom