Ticking / Clicking noise when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
My Felt Z85 has developed an annoying noise. It's almost a year old and done 4500 miles.

It started on Saturday with a very intermittent tick/click when pedalling somewhat hard. It appeared to be each rotation of the pedals, when the left pedal was at the bottom. Yesterday it got worse and today it was almost entirely there when pedalling with any effort. The position of the pedal can vary. It sounds to me like its the bottom bracket area.

If I pedal slowly, the noise is not there. Similarly if I rotate the pedals on a stand, no noise.

If I stand up, the noise is still there, so I don't think it's coming from the seatpost/saddle. If I pedal no-handed then the noise is still there too, so I don't think it's coming from the handlebars/stem.

The dérailleur is properly adjusted and I can see when looking down the chain is not catching it, nor is my foot, the pedal or crank arm catching anything.

I know it's a bit vague, but any ideas?

ayceejay

Guru
Chain. Try oiling it as first step

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I should have added the chain is well lubricated.

However, it's a good point though, I should probably clean it again just in case something has got lodged in there since I cleaned it last week.

bikeman66

My Felt Z85 has developed an annoying noise. It's almost a year old and done 4500 miles.

It started on Saturday with a very intermittent tick/click when pedalling somewhat hard. It appeared to be each rotation of the pedals, when the left pedal was at the bottom. Yesterday it got worse and today it was almost entirely there when pedalling with any effort. The position of the pedal can vary. It sounds to me like its the bottom bracket area.

If I pedal slowly, the noise is not there. Similarly if I rotate the pedals on a stand, no noise.

If I stand up, the noise is still there, so I don't think it's coming from the seatpost/saddle. If I pedal no-handed then the noise is still there too, so I don't think it's coming from the handlebars/stem.

The dérailleur is properly adjusted and I can see when looking down the chain is not catching it, nor is my foot, the pedal or crank arm catching anything.

I know it's a bit vague, but any ideas?
Highly likely to be the bottom bracket I would suggest. Had a similar issue on my Felt. First the annoying noises, then noticed the cranks were perhaps a little stiff to back pedal by hand. Whipped the cranks off, and I could barely turn the BB axle with my hands. Replaced the unit and all was well. Most manufacturers fit a bottom bracket that is below par compared to the rest of the components, as it isn't one of those sexy eye catching parts they're going to sell the bike with, so it's most likely one of the things that will fail first.

Having done 4,500 miles the bike would probably benefit from a new BB being fitted anyway.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Do you have/could you borrow a substitute pair of pedals, to 'eliminate them from your enquiries'?

(I had the same thing, and seem to have fixed it by re-greasing my left pedal.)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Check the chainwheel bolts are tight.
check the BB or replace it as its done 4.5k

sounds on bikes like this can be from a frame crack too so have a really good look for a fine line crack near welds in the Bb area

ChrisEyles

Guru
I have just had *exactly* the same problem:

Click/clonk noise once per pedal revolution, as the left hand crank gets to the bottom, in any gear, in/out the saddle, especially when putting down a bit of power. New bike with around 4,000 miles on it.

For me, it was the BB - which is being replaced as I write this at the LBS :smile:

You can check this by grabbing the cranks in the "noisy" position, and wiggling them side-to-side. If you get any noise or movement, the problem is most likely either the BB or a loose crank (probably the former).

I had loads of helpful suggestions of possible causes when I raised the question here, so you may want to have a quick browse through:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/clonking-noise-on-every-pedal-revolution.177376/

Good luck getting it sorted!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Check the end of the front derailleur cable isn't bent out and catching your shoe.

Is it a BB30 bottom bracket? They can make a clicking noise as the chainset axle frets inside the inner bearing races although this usually starts at 200 miles not 4500 miles. Take it apart and look for signs of wear and fretting on the axle where it fits inside the bearings. Cure it by smearing the worn bits with bearing fit compound.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have some spare pedals the bike came with, but today I tried pedalling with one foot only at a time, and the noise was still there (when using either foot). However, I could give them a go if I can find them.

It's definitely not the cable, I had this problem when I first bought the bike and couldn't believe how simple it was to overlook it, it was driving me mad for days so first thing I checked this time:blush: This is what Wiggle's page says about the Bottom Bracket (although I did not buy it there): Bottom Bracket: FSA Square tapered. I believe this means it's not BB30.

I'll double check for cracks and test the BB as suggested above.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
The pedals appear fine, the cable is definitely out of the way, and turning the cranks by hand results in no play and no noise whatsoever. Taking the cranks and trying to move them back and forth gives no movement at all. There are also no cracks that I can see with a bright light.

Realistically, for somebody like me who has a Halfords £25 bike tool set and no knowledge, is it feasible that I could remove my bottom bracket by myself so I can 1) find the length and 2) re-grease and re-fit it all? If so, what grease would I need for this? The reason I am thinking of doing this is that 1) it may fix it and 2) I am going to need the BB out to find the length to procure a suitable replacement.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Not sure what 'puter you are using but if it's one with rear wheel magnet it may be contacting the pick-up as the wheel distorts under hard pedalling. It's a long shot but I have had this happen.

Top Bottom