Ticking noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi all, just got back from my ride and every now and again upon applying the front brake I had a loud ticking sound, a bit like if you spin the wheel and then hold a piece of cable up to the spokes, it would go again as soon as I released the brake.
They are avid bb5 disc brakes. On a boardman cx.
Any suggestions on what it could be? I have looked and the cables at the front end are not making contact with the spokes etc at all.
Cheers,
John

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Check to see if the spring clip holding the brake pads isn't contacting the brake rotor

sometimes you can get some muck, a stone, or thorn get in there and mash them out of shape

OP
OP
J

John342

take your wheel off and look at the gap between your pads, the clip acts like a spring to keep them apart

Heres a pic

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...r_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|46219UK

See if the clip as moved from it's correct position - also check your rotor for anything caught in it

Thank you I will check that then. It was only a day or two ago that I adjusted the brake with the little red dial? To reduce the gap. Could this have caused the clip to move?

Threevok

Thank you I will check that then. It was only a day or two ago that I adjusted the brake with the little red dial? To reduce the gap. Could this have caused the clip to move?

Not really. The only time you can get this problem (assuming it is a misaligned clip) is if you either get something jammed in there (causing it to move or jump out of it's seating) or if the pads were installed incorrectly in the first place.

Of course, if your pads are that worn that only your clip remains when you brake (trust me I have done it) then that too can cause the problem

OP
OP
J

John342

hi guys, I have removed the pin and pads today and cleaned the pads. Seems to be a bit better but not tried on the road yet. Will find out on tomorrow's commute to work.
Only one issue. Does the pin sort of sit between the pads or should it make a reassuring click or something? After an hour I finallly got the pads back in and the pin in place but I am unsure it is in correctly. It just seemed to slide in.

Threevok

It should slide in, but directly down the slot(s) of the brake shoe(s) and the bends on the ends of the pin should fit in the recesses of them

To be honest, second guessing after you said you wound the pads in, I suspect that the pads are worn to the point where the pin ends are touching the rotor on braking.

If your problem persists, I believe new pads are in order

Top Bottom