1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tied up in knots

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 22 Feb 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

..yep this is a moan about sleeping bag liners...

why oh why are they intent on strangling the lifeblood out of me??!

...what i don't understand is why they arn't supplied with a simple means of fixing them to the inside of your bag so that when you turn around in the bag the liner doesnt stick to you and twist around with you. It cant be that hard to solve this issue surely?

Maybe something as simple as velcro or a loop and toggle arragement like the old duffle coats used to have??

2. xilios

xilios Über Member

Instead of bag liners I use thermal underware, sweat socks and when really cold a winter cap, which I believe work much beter.
    But you can try turning with the bag instead of inside it.

3. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

That is because they are out to get you....

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

sewing?
    use wool then you can pick it out again if you want

5. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

This has never been solved BTFB. If you come up with a solution you'll make a fortune. Try sleeping bag liner, sleeping bag, bivvy bag. See if you can get out of that in a hurry come morning.

6. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

maybe a simple inner zip to attach the liner to the inside of the bag...it would all roll up as one and the liner could be unzipped for washing. How much does a zip weigh?

7. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

And when you weren't using the liner you'd have an umcomfortable zip in your sleeping bag, not mentioning how you'd attach it or baffle it. Zips are also cold which is why they are so well baffled.

What about ties. Easy to put in and attach. Trouble is if you turn violently you might rip them off and damage the bag/liner.

8. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

I think alight weight plastic zip would work if there was a wide enough section of material. So this is the plan:

Sew a 1/2inch wide strip of material on the inside of the bag all along the internal seam. Sew a 1/2 inch strip of material all the way around the seam of the liner...join th etwo 1/2inch strips with a zip.

??

9. P.H

P.H Über Member

My Big Agnes sleeping bag has loops in the corners to tie a liner too, but I've never found a liner that uses them.
    I've given up on sleeping bags and treated myself to a down camping quilt.

10. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Yep, been there, done that. It seems that you can manage to rotate all three items so that there is no obvious escape route. Locked like a cocoon ready for the spider.

11. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

The 58 pattern army sleeping bags came with a kind of button in liner thing. I remember one cold night hearing an almighty struggle near our gun-sub. A chap had buttoned himself him, zipped himself up and all this was inside a bivvy bag with the zip done up on that. In the night he had rolled over, and woke to find the liner opening on one side, the sleeping bag zip somewhere else, and the bivvy bag zip around the back. There was quite a crowd watching before he cut himself out:biggrin: