Tifosi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm in the process of deciding on a new winter bike which I'll probanly buy in August. I know, I know but it takes me a very long time to decide.

My LBS, in which I have great faith, is nudging me towards Tifosi. We would probably buy a frame and build the bike from there.

I'd be interested to know how others have got on with either full Tifosi bikes or frames.

ClaireSaud

Veteran
Hi, I‘ve owned a Tifosi Cavazzo Commuter since August 2018. I love it. Main reason I bought it was for the BB, not a pressfit in sight. Plenty of clearance for larger winter tyres as well. It feels pretty solid and the disc brakes are fairly decent too. My only gripe is the Michelin tyres that came with it. Not the best grip in the wet but okay for normal dry conditions. The gears can be a bit lacking on hills but that could be my puny legs not being able to cope with a slight incline. I would recommend the model I’ve got, I'm very happy with it. Good luck in your search and enjoy :bicycle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Having the bike shop which is going to build the bike fully on board is probably more important than frame brand, or brand of any other component.

Realistically, a Tifosi frame will be churned out in the same handful of mega factories as lots of other brands - unless you go for a true bespoke build at a cost of thousands.

A threaded bottom bracket looks to be the only sensible choice.

I can't see any advantage in other types, and there are certainly disadvantages to press fit.

Twilkes

Guru
Hi, I‘ve owned a Tifosi Cavazzo Commuter since August 2018. I love it. Main reason I bought it was for the BB, not a pressfit in sight. Plenty of clearance for larger winter tyres as well. It feels pretty solid and the disc brakes are fairly decent too. My only gripe is the Michelin tyres that came with it. Not the best grip in the wet but okay for normal dry conditions. The gears can be a bit lacking on hills but that could be my puny legs not being able to cope with a slight incline. I would recommend the model I’ve got, I'm very happy with it. Good luck in your search and enjoy :bicycle:

Which Michelin tyres out of interest?

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Having the bike shop which is going to build the bike fully on board is probably more important than frame brand, or brand of any other component.

Absolutely. I've used the same LBS for 20+ years. This will be my fifth bike from there and we will spend a lot of time on how the build should be.

We start with a wish list and budget which includes the view if going over budget, by say 10%, brings significant benefit we do it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As said Tifosi are no better or worse than any other far eastern made frame so buy on the basis of geometry for your needs and finish.
Building a bike from parts is going to be a lot more expensive than selecting one off the shelf but I suspect you already know this.
Good luck with it.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Interesting thoughts there. Thank you.

@Cycleops oh yes definitely aware. Other ideas are in the pan which include buying a fully built bike. That does raise some other points. The advantage of the Tifosi is it can take a rack and panniers. I'm sure you know not all carbon frames can. Finding a fully built bike which will take this plus my other wishes is tricky.

ClaireSaud

Veteran
Which Michelin tyres out of interest?
Hi, Michelin Protek

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Building a bike from parts is going to be a lot more expensive than selecting one off the shelf
I'm not sure that's so.

A 105 ally roadie is about £1,000.

The groupset is about £400, wheels and tyres about £200, allowing £100 for bars and other bits and pieces gives £700.

That leaves about £300 for the frame.

It will never be possible to exactly compare like with like, but I reckon there won't be a lot in it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Perhaps someone in the cycle trade can confirm or deny this but I always thought that manufacturers like Shimano and Campagnolo offered hefty discounts to encourage makers to fit their groupsets on their bikes.
They would be buying in bulk so that in itself would attract a discount.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Perhaps someone in the cycle trade can confirm or deny this but I always thought that manufacturers like Shimano and Campagnolo offered hefty discounts to encourage makers to fit their groupsets on their bikes.

That's probably true, but we are comparing one retail transaction with another - the choice faced by someone who wants to buy a bike built by the shop or buy a ready made one.

It's not easy to make such a comparison.

I've seen road frames on clearance for £100.

But I've no idea how such a frame would compare with one you would get on a £1,000 complete bike.

They would be buying in bulk so that in itself would attract a discount.

You are correct sir :thumbsup: although not a 'discount' as such,just a better margin for buying in bulk known as build kits;don't know about Campag but Shimano are cracking down on build kits being sold as group sets.

Also some build kits may include non-series parts with chain sets and calipers being the usual replacements.

However obviously group sets can still be bought at a discount (or to put it another way with little or no profit margin) which may also be a build kit,this would bring the prices closer together.

We had some Tifosi bikes for a while; excellent bikes and pretty good value but usually fell foul of not being a Speccy,Giant,Trek or Cannondale:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We had some Tifosi bikes for a while; excellent bikes and pretty good value but usually fell foul of not being a Speccy,Giant,Trek or Cannondale:rolleyes:.

Could you expand on your view Tifosi are excellent and what you mean "fell foul of"

Are you suggesting people bought Cannondale, for example, as it's a well known brand rather than Tifosi which is probably less well known or popular?

On a recent ride I met a mechanic from an LBS. I've never used this particular LBS but it has a very strong local reputation and sells Tifosi. (My loyalty is with another LBS). He described Tifosi as "good for the money." I'm in two minds as to how to interpret this.

Thanks.

I'm basically saying that Tifosi are good bikes,in fact some like the Mons are as good as anything out there.

Fell foul of' is the herd mentality of people regarding big brands,it's what people have heard of so that's what they want.You could show them the most fantastic hand-made bespoke frame and they would still go for one of the big brands.Also the bigger brands tend to be the most discount(some 2020 models are already being discounted).

Actually have the same issue with Ridley.

Top Bottom