Tiger crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My home town of Harlech is destined for a Tiger crossing to help children cycle across a busy 'A' road to school. I know they were piloted in London. Do they work ?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
(Warning - post not offering answer) It is the Year of the Tiger, and the Bengals are in the final match of the American (version of) football tournament.
1644149553503.png

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

The tiger crossing trial failed and it was Aylesbury not London. They are not normally allowed. Maybe you are getting a parallel zebra? See https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tiger-crossing-uk-who-uses-one.282427/
Yet the crossing was welcomed in Cardiff

"There is at least one in Cardiff Here. I've used it in the past, although usually coming out from the shared use path and turning onto the road, and my normal commute now is all along that road.

My experience is that motor traffic DOES generally give way to cyclists there, just as much as they do for pedestrians"

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am English
Ahh, well there you go, it is your castle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

"There is at least one in Cardiff Here. I've used it in the past, although usually coming out from the shared use path and turning onto the road, and my normal commute now is all along that road.

My experience is that motor traffic DOES generally give way to cyclists there, just as much as they do for pedestrians"
That's a parallel zebra crossing. Tiger crossings were yellow and black striped, hence the name.

I often use that to pull on to the bridge and motorists always give way. The only trouble I have had there was with a bus which then tried to squeeze me right into the kerb when I was undertaking it in the cycle lane at the other end of the bridge after it had been stuck in a queue.

Alex321

Veteran
That's a parallel zebra crossing. Tiger crossings were yellow and black striped, hence the name.
The parallel crossings are commonly known as Tiger crossings, although officially that name is not used, because it has been used to mean other things, such as your Aylesbury example.

Alex321

Veteran
I often use that to pull on to the bridge and motorists always give way. The only trouble I have had there was with a bus which then tried to squeeze me right into the kerb when I was undertaking it in the cycle lane at the other end of the bridge after it had been stuck in a queue.
The "cycle lane" over the bridge is ridiculously narrow.

Initially, I was doing the same as you, but I found after a while that it was quicker to come in down Clare Road/Clarence Road rather than down the embankment, which is mostly shared use paths. (Heading for Caspian point in the Bay, and coming from outside Cardiff to the West).

Top Bottom