Tight tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Person

For me It's the thumb soreness that lasts for days after putting on new tyres. I put continental 4 seasons on mavic Ksyrium wheels. The front went on straight away but with the rear I had to use levers.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
He is wrong, think what starting from the valve does, tip it gives you less tyre to work with. The valve keeps the tyre from dropping into the well.

If you leave the valve area till the last you risk a snakebite as the valve pushes more tube out towards the tyre bead. This also leads to the tyre being harder to seat and there's less room for a tyre lever to sit.
If you start from the valve, push the valve almost out of the valve hole on the rim. It'll naturally reseat itself when the tyre is inflated.
As a lifelong bike mechanic, Colin in the video knows what he's talking about.

presta

Guru
In my experience, Schwalbe Marathons on Mavic rims tend to be a challenge - ! :cursing:

Isn't it the Marathon Pluses that are a pest? I have Marathon HS368s on Mavic A719s, and they tend to fall off by themselves if you don't hang onto them.

Gillstay

Über Member
He is wrong, think what starting from the valve does, tip it gives you less tyre to work with. The valve keeps the tyre from dropping into the well.

Yes. Used to put tyres on vintage motorbikes and that was very hard, but always the rule was to finish at the valve. Only way to get some on.

presta

Guru
Yes. Used to put tyres on vintage motorbikes and that was very hard, but always the rule was to finish at the valve. Only way to get some on.
I usually keep the valve midway between start & finish, so that it's out of the way, and won't tend to push the tube out under the bead where it might get pinched under the bead.

i've always used folding bead tyres but have fitted a few wire bead and they are tough.
the best thing i ever did was stopped using tyre levers to put tyre back on. rather just use palms and go round the tyre. it needs patience in some cases but you get there in the end. i broke a few tyre levers before i learned this technique :blink:

Top Bottom