Tights Or Leg Warmers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phaedrus

Looking ahead to the colder weather, I'm considering buying a pair of bib tights for use on my road bike. It occurs to me thought, that a combination of bib shorts (which I already have) and leg warmers might give more flexibility.

Any views are welcome.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What sort of riding? Commuting, leisure or both?

Leg warmers are pretty flexible- I use them in spring and autumn, when it gets into winter I use tights but a lot of my riding is commuting. I find leg warmers adequate in the winter once the sun is up.

I agree with painrus: cold early mornings in the autumn/spring aren't normally cold enough for winter longs, but leggings are fine, and probably won't be needed in the afternoon/early evening, and they can fold up quite small for a rear pocket or small rucksack.

Garz

Squat Member
Thinking this too as im gonna get another bibshort now that im riding so frequently. If I get another similar style then I can utilise leg warmers to use with both. So you guys recommending the leg warmers?

OP
OP
phaedrus

phaedrus

palinurus said:
What sort of riding? Commuting, leisure or both?

I do my short commute on a hybrid wearing work clothes, as I have done for a long time. I'm thinking about when I'm on my new road bike - yes, I have crossed over to the dark side :evil:. My longest ride so far is 20 miles.

monnet

Guru
In winter I prefer tights - surprising how cold your arse can get just wearing bib shorts. I find knee warmers or 3/4's are a good medium for spring/ autumn.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
monnet said:
In winter I prefer tights - surprising how cold your arse can get just wearing bib shorts. I find knee warmers or 3/4's are a good medium for spring/ autumn.
It's not your arse that suffers the biting wind chill, unless you are riding backwards! :tongue:

Randochap

Senior hunter
Leg warmers in early spring/high altitude/bad weather, knee warmers cold mornings, tights for winter (maybe even w/ 2 pairs of shorts as base on subzero rides).

Make sure to drop saddle a mm or 2 to accommodate extra layers.

Top Bottom