Tillston racing cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saltaire111

Hello,

I have an old Tillston racing cycle and I wondered if any members might be able to tell me something about it.

I know that it was hand built on Stockton on Tees in the early 50s and I know that the guy who built it was called Bill Tillston. The original firm is still going but it sells only motorbikes now and the people there don't really know much about the old cycle side of the business.

It's in reasonable condition, looks like original wheels, brakes, frame's OK and it has original decals.

Would be great fun for any info.

Cheers.

David

raleighnut

Legendary Member

OP
OP
S

Saltaire111

image.jpg
thats a new name for me any pics to help us drool please @Saltaire111
Here's a picture. It's old and not in good shape.

OP
OP
S

Saltaire111

my thoughts completley
I had another look at it today and the frame is in good shape and incredibly lightweight. Otherwise it's in pretty bad shape (another photo attached). haven't a clue where to start in doing it up, anyone any idea whether it is worth the cost/effort? Or should it go in the skip?

image.jpeg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Or should it go in the skip?

View attachment 104367

Not the skip- if not you then there will be someone who'll want to have a go at restoring this.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just take it apart then give the frame a good rub over with a cloth and WD40 then grease everything as you reassemble it.
Something to keep you occupied over winter when the telly is crap, after all it isn't a common bike (like the Raleighs I fiddle with)

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
In my yoof Tillstons bikes were what we all wanted but could never afford. I remember we used to go to the shop on a Sat morning and were allowed to rummage in the scrap bin and take what we wanted for free. I wish I could find a Tillston now.;)

Top Bottom