Time Cleats - which shoes question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thistler

Veteran
I ended up buying a Specialized Sectuer, and am now pedal shopping. I'd like to buy Time pedals as they are easy on the knees and I've used them in the past and been very happy with them.  I seem to remember 20+ years ago that there were only certain shoes the cleats would fit on... I don't want to be restricted to buying only Time shoes - is this still the case, or did I get it wrong in the first place? I'm looking at Shimano and Diadora shoes because they come in wider widths...

Thanks for any help!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Are we talking road shoes rather than mtb? If so the large triangular cleats will fit any road shoe as the triangular fitting has been standardized - so a shoe will take Time,Shimano spd-sl or Look cleats.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Are we talking road shoes rather than mtb? If so the large triangular cleats will fit any road shoe as the triangular fitting has been standardized - so a shoe will take Time,Shimano spd-sl or Look cleats.
Yes, I meant road rather than mtb. Thanks for the info, very good to know!!!

e-rider

crappy member
I ended up buying a Specialized Sectuer, and am now pedal shopping. I'd like to buy Time pedals as they are easy on the knees and I've used them in the past and been very happy with them. I seem to remember 20+ years ago that there were only certain shoes the cleats would fit on... I don't want to be restricted to buying only Time shoes - is this still the case, or did I get it wrong in the first place? I'm looking at Shimano and Diadora shoes because they come in wider widths...

Thanks for any help!

Shimano shoes are definitely NOT wide fitting.

LOOK pedals have cleats that offer different amounts of float, the red cleats offer amounts of movement similar to Time.

Time pedals are OK but times have moved on in the last 20 years so do some modern research before buying.

As for the cleats, they are not as the used to be. New Time cleats fit any road shoe.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Shimano shoes are definitely NOT wide fitting.

LOOK pedals have cleats that offer different amounts of float, the red cleats offer amounts of movement similar to Time.

Time pedals are OK but times have moved on in the last 20 years so do some modern research before buying.

As for the cleats, they are not as the used to be. New Time cleats fit any road shoe.
Thanks - so the Shimano shoes that are offered in the wider widths are not actually very wide?

Can you tell me which model of Look pedals you are talking about? I would appreciate it!

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks - so the Shimano shoes that are offered in the wider widths are not actually very wide?

Can you tell me which model of Look pedals you are talking about? I would appreciate it!

Standard shimano shoes are well known for being very narrow indeed. Any offered in 'wide' options will be of normal width.

Check out the LOOK KEO range of pedals - something for every budget. The red colour cleats have the most float/movement (although most/all LOOK pedals come with grey cleats which have less float (4.5 degree)). New red cleats would cost about £12. The black cleats have no float at all.

I should add that although Time pedals are not my favourite, you shouldn't rule them out either - they are quite good. Have a look at everything available and then make a decision that suits your needs the most. Happy cycling!

Top Bottom