time for a new bike, too many choices!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

I have been commuting for just over two months and have decided I definitely like it and am going to keep at it. My employer uses cyclescheme and we have a £1k limit. I have been in the LBS and looking online and am going round in circles trying to choose something!

The commute is currently 14 and a bit miles each way but a half of that is on a crappy cycle path which I am not sure I would take an expensive bike on. The rest of it is on the road. There is another route which is about 12 miles and is all road but I tend not to use it as there are loads of traffic lights and I seem to spend more time with a foot on the ground that riding.

Anyway, I am happy to spend the full £1k, definitely looking at a road bike (with drop bars) and it needs to take a pannier rack. Any suggestions?

Oh, the current bike is a carrera subway zero (fixed gear) with 700c x 28 tyres and I have never ridden a proper road bike.

marcw

I'm currently looking at a Genesis Croix de Fer. It's a steel cross bike with rack eyelets and disc brakes. I currently ride an Alu Bianchi which is fast but very lively across any bumps and prone to chucking me out the saddle over some of London's pot holes. Reasons for the Genesis are; can take it around some country parks at the weekend (live near the greenbelt), can take a rack, has wide tyres to provide some shock absorbancy and disc brakes. Riding through winter I had a few moments when oil or something got washed up onto my rims and the brakes just didn't work. Brakes are useful when heading downhill in a bus lane and the bus stops. Discs aren't completely resistant to getting the braking surfaces contaminated but they are less prone than rim brakes. Genesis do an Aluminium version called the vapour but I prefer the look of the steel bike.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

That looks nice but heavy. I am planning on keeping my current fixed gear bike to use over winter so just need something for the rest of the time. I do like the look of the Specialized Secteur range.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
crumpetman said:
I do like the look of the Specialized Secteur range.

I'm so happy that you said that without prompting from Norm. :smile:

I have one and utterly love it. :biggrin:

One or two gripes in that the stock brakes are crap throughout the range but that can be fixed with a quick swap to 105 calipers (£50ish). Also if you are going to run mudguards on it then you'll have to switch the tyres from 700x25s to 700x23s. Other than that the general concencus is it's pretty quick and not a bad bike at all.

See raving fandom here:
http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/group.php?groupid=28 :ohmy:

marcw

crumpetman said:
That looks nice but heavy.

makes your legs stronger! It's actually a slightly lighter than your Carrera.

How do you find the ride on the Carrera, comfy or brittle? Is it bumpy on the cycle path? The Secteur is a tyre size down and probably runs at 100+ PSI. I don't take my road bike off tarmac so not an issue, wouldn't ride it down a cyclepath though, I value the enamel on my teeth.

The only cyclepaths I've riden have been somewhat broken concrete covered in bit's of gravel.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

Just had a look over the Secteur OC and realised that I have not really thought about servicing! What sort of costs am I looking at if I do 500-600 miles a month?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
crumpetman said:
Just had a look over the Secteur OC and realised that I have not really thought about servicing! What sort of costs am I looking at if I do 500-600 miles a month?

Depends on the component level on the bike and how you ride. I was hard on my chain, cassette and chainring on my cheap hybrid with a bad habit of setting off in too high a gear but part of that was down to inexperience of requirements when coming to a stop. I blew through a cheap cassette and chain in 6 months. Ianrauk has chewed through a cassette on his Secteur but he's a high milage hard rider. :ohmy::smile: I'm doing about the same milage you intend and will be likely replacing stuff once a year but with doing so many miles it's best if you get down and dirty and learn to do stuff yourself. It's a damn site cheaper that way as well. :biggrin:

Chain wise my plan is to keep an eye on it's streatch and replace it at 75% wear then run that chain to 100% and replace chain, cassette and chainring.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

marcw said:
makes your legs stronger! It's actually a slightly lighter than your Carrera.

How do you find the ride on the Carrera, comfy or brittle? Is it bumpy on the cycle path? The Secteur is a tyre size down and probably runs at 100+ PSI. I don't take my road bike off tarmac so not an issue, wouldn't ride it down a cyclepath though, I value the enamel on my teeth.

The only cyclepaths I've riden have been somewhat broken concrete covered in bit's of gravel.

I can't find the specs for the subway zero but I think it is 10kg. The ride on a decent road surface is fine. Cycle paths are fine too apart from where the surface is lumpy and then I have to ride a bit slower. I have 100 PSI in my tyres too.

If I had a proper road bike I think I would just do the full road commute and I can't see the thinner tyres and increased PSI being a problem. The reason I don't at the moment is that it is a bit more stressful (but also more challenging) and also there is one very steep hill that is a bit too hard on a fixed gear.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

Thanks for the info HaloJ, I am going to look at some more bike shops at the weekend but so far the Secteur is the one that appeals the most from web window shopping.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Secteur is a nice bike. And are made with a far more relaxed geometry so are less heads down racing. But as the old Cycling saying goes. Test ride before you buy.

When you buy a bike, the first servicing is usually for free. (4 weeks after purchase usually). As HaloJ righty said. I am a mile muncher. my daily commute is a 34 mile round trip in all weathers 5 days a week. In 6 months (apprx 4000 miles) I had to change the chain. middle chain ring, cassette & bottom bracket. The bad winter, especially all the salt they spread on the roads just ate my bike up. The service was £45. The parts I bought and replaced myself. An easy job to do when you have the electrical intraweb thingy to look things up and the knowledgeable people on this site to help. Now it's far drier weather I am expecting the parts to last a lot longer.

crumpetman said:
Thanks for the info HaloJ, I am going to look at some more bike shops at the weekend but so far the Secteur is the one that appeals the most from web window shopping.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
marcw said:
I'm currently looking at a Genesis Croix de Fer.

That's what I'd go for too. Perfect for a bit of 'crappy cycle path'.
Use slightly smaller tyres than the standard and you can fit mudguards too if you wanted to. And it's a great looking bike.

marcw

crumpetman said:

If you ride through Winter you'll go through brake pads pretty quickly but the rest should last a while. Keep your eye on the well know online shops and buy things like cassettes and chains out of season at decent discounts.

bauldbairn

marcw said:
I'm currently looking at a Genesis Croix de Fer. It's a steel cross bike with rack eyelets and disc brakes. Genesis do an Aluminium version called the vapour but I prefer the look of the steel bike.

+1. :ohmy:

Another here for the Croix de Fer - but if it's to heavy why not look at the Alu one as said. The Vapour was the first Genesis I saw and it's a nice bike too.

Top Bottom