Time for a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

da1esman

Been riding my Dave Yates built 531 framed 21'' bike since the mid 1980's. At 63 I not a fast club rider but often ride on a Saturday or Sunday ride 60 to 80 mile rids around the North Yorkshire dales or moors very much audax style rider. Not interested in carbon any ideas.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to Spa in Harrogate (Starbeck) for one of their steel or titanium Audax models :okay:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p0/Bikes/Audax-and-Sportive

they even have stock unlike many bike shops, and have demo models so you can get a decent test ride

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Custom builds, they have stock models too I believe.
Many other bikes won’t be available until next spring, if at all

@da1esman what’s your budget?
something like a Genesis equilibrium would be an alternative, there are always a few on eBay if ok with second hand
I have recently ordered a bike from them and was told builds will now be longer than three months and they couldn't even estimate a likely date. I'm in no hurry so that's OK for me but may not suit others.

Peugeotrider

Oh I would revamp your old bike.
Some new components and rims.
I am very much a fan of vintage machinery and totally revamped my 86 Peugeot tourmalet. It's my No1 bike still to this day

All uphill

Still rolling along
That busy or short of parts? Or both?
A bit of both I think.

OP
OP
da1esman

da1esman

Oh I would revamp your old bike.
Some new components and rims.
I am very much a fan of vintage machinery and totally revamped my 86 Peugeot tourmalet. It's my No1 bike still to this day View attachment 604760
I will need a new set of forks and complete paint job and group set, wheels. Want to get away from down tube shifters as well.

I am a big fan of old steel, I often ride with others who swear by them.

Peugeotrider

I will need a new set of forks and complete paint job and group set, wheels. Want to get away from down tube shifters as well.

Well here's another vote for old iron.
I've also an aluminium Raleigh that's around 2006 and my 86 pug is lighter but...it's the feel of the Peugeot where it wins. A geometry thing I reckon

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

All the work you mention ie new forks and paint job and making suitable for sti units and modern groupsets can all be done easily enough .

Dave Yates looks to be still building http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/

If not take a trip to see Kevin Sayles and the Woodrup team they will certainly help or even Lee Cooper

Glow worm

Legendary Member
"Our current lead-time on handbuilt wheels is approx 8 weeks, and approx 12 weeks for custom bike builds."
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/

I ordered my Spa Wayfarer from there on June 16th and hoping to collect mid-September, so 12 weeks is about right I'd say.
Terrific service from them. I'm looking forward to a nice meander home from Harrogate on the new steed next month.

Top Bottom